noisy 98 4.0l sohc | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

noisy 98 4.0l sohc

141dropandroll

Reaction score
after putting in a full timing chain kit, my rattle noise is gone, but I'm left with a lifter like ticking noise after the engine is at temperature ,no noise when the engine is cooled off, or when revved up,,,, so I changed passenger side hyd lash adjusters, seemed to be the noisy side,, no change,, hoping it's not a wrist pin.. any ideas would be greatly appreciated..

Is there a tech support forum or web site that a person can get some trouble shooting advice on my 98 sohc 4.ol explorer??

Kind of tough to help you with just a description, maybe a sound clip would help?
If the noise started immediately after you did the full timing chain job, one might point back to the work that you just did. I've never heard of anyone on here with an issue with a "lifter" on the SOHC motor.

I have seen some old posts with people having the same problem,, the lash adjusters was the suggested problem.. the posts didn't go any further,, the tapping noise was there before the timing chain work,, the oil sump was so plugged with timing guide parts that the top end wasn't getting much oil.. the strange thing is that the noise is only when the motor is at running temp and at idle,,, most timing chain noise is at start up,, cold engine starts ,,, the motor has never ran so smooth,, just the annoying tapping..

Back