Not used to X's- Stupid question inside... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Not used to X's- Stupid question inside...

Xport

Reaction score
City, State
Royston, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
Soooo. I've gone from driving a beater 95 Neon to a 02 Cavalier (2dr) to my X... I am not used to driving something as large as this... I do have the 32" mud kings though no lifts, no 4x4, no other mods... Was curious as to what my truck can... do? If that is the right terminology... I know I can't go muddin in tall waters or crawling. However, just curious as to things like- if my yard floods (been raining a lot lately) will I have to worry about getting stuck? Or will my tires and V6 get me out? Hope the questions aren't too stupid... Just a newb to the X community.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the community! As it stands, your limited to simple dirt trails and your watery back yard.. maybe a little more, but thats about it... as you stand currently. BUT... put a nice little locker on the rear, and your options open up quite a bit more! Not that you'll be tackling the Rubicon, or anything but a rear locker has gotten people quite far for not running a 4X4. You can always go the pre-runner option like this guy http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/cto/1585969551.html, if that suits your fancy. Either way, its your rig... enjoy it! Take it easy!

ive got 32" BFGs but i have a body lift and shackles too. but if your 32s clear without any lift more power to ya!! :thumbsup: better CG than ive got. I went down some trails this last weekend (on accident mind you) when i was just doing some fire roads and mild stuff that were pushing the limit of what i could do. puckered me up pretty good lets just say that..... haha thought i was gonna put my X on its side multiple times :rolleyes: but id say one of my rear tires in the air about 3+ feet facing down a hill is pretty crazy for my X i think... but you should be able to do some pretty mild stuff. :thumbsup:

yea even in 2 my ex is very capable and im only on 31" tires but when i switch into 4 tis much funner =p

That's awesome to know! :) We share a driveway and sometimes get blocked in and have to drive through a muddy, wet part to get out, my ol' Cavalier would sit there and spin like mad trying to move... Just don't want that to happen with my X!

your watery backyard can get you stuck with only 2WD

my dad's pickup would be stuck, then again it had no weight in the rear, and bald tire, but you're explorer is still walking a thin line

Show us a pic of your "Watery" spot and we can better judge if you'll be O.K.!

I'll get some pics of the yard- no hills except one small little ditch that I would hardly consider a ditch. Just your regular 'ol country front lawn showing more dirt than grass almost lol! My mom's 98 Nissan Frontier almost got stuck and she tore up the grass pretty good but she got out- and that's completely stock with OK tires (not great)

Will get pics when I can :)

Wet grass can be as slick as heck to be honest. The biggest danger is if your front tires sink in, then your Explorer has essentially become a farmers plow.

As for lockers, check your axle code as a lot of 2nd gens come with limited slip rear ends. I don't think it would warrant the $$ and time to go from a LS to Locker on a 2wd personally.

Back