now that the snow is flying, how are you liking your tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

now that the snow is flying, how are you liking your tires

this is my first winter on 35s... the last time i drove my ex in the snow it had a mild lift, 32s, and still had the 4.0 now it has changed quite a bit, im wondering how all you guys like your all terrains, or mud terrains on the snow and ice..

I have 315/75/16 xterrains and i have to say i love them in the snow, so far. I have had them on icy roads and on snowy trails and have to say they hook pretty good. They excell in sand and snow, and im really glad because we get dumped on up here somtimes and i cant wait to play in some deep stuff.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

loved my bfg at's in last years snow...had over 18" on the ground at one point and they cut through it and never gave me a problem...def a great winter tire.

snow? im still waiting to try out my new 35s in the mud.

you ever even drive in snow before.. i love it, you can break your tires loose at any speed

Goodyear 35 MTR = good in deep snow, but like most MT's = hockey ucks on packed snow. icy roads.

I am going back to my 33" Dick Cepek FCII's for winter (aggressive AT)

If you wanna run MT's on the street in the winter have them siped.

Snow? What's that? Haven't had any here in southern New England yet, but it's only a matter of time

I have offbrand 31s. They do well in the snow with AWD. We'll find out how well they do in major snow now that I'm located in the Pennsyltucky mountains!! :p

the SSRs are good in the snow. I had mine out in some thick snow with just 2wd (had my front driveshaft out) and got around fine. I do however have a LSD which makes it a little bit nicer. 4wd though this winter...I'm gonna have a blast!

-Drew

I just scored some Michelin Latitude Ice radials and put them on a set of Liimited rims I scored from DirtyDog. It's supposed to be 16C (60F) this weekend. We haven't had any snow in almost a month and none is expected in the next week at least. I'm anxious to try them out. I've always had all seasons and got decent traction including some jaunts in some pretty out of the way roads in the middle of the Canadian Rockies. It'll be that much better with the new boots.

And you guys think Canada is the land of ice and snow! (it can be, but we have many winters with little where I live).

ive already got six inches here in mid-west michigan

Here in the ATL we had some frost on our windsheilds today!!! That's the closest we've come to the fluffy white stuff that you guys call snow, this year. I REALLY want it to snow this year though. Last year we had a slight amount of snow, more of ice really, but I didn't drive in it. It was after January and I'm HOPING to have my axles under there before then. Should be fun w/ 37s. :D

BFG AT's were awesome last year in the snow. I'm waiting to try the TrXus MT's....that's why I bought them and suffered through the bad balance issues....a mix of MT tire and snow/ice tire....at least thats what the marketing slicks said :rolleyes:

ohh wait i forgot to mention, when i did the motor swap i never hooked up my heater box

ohhh well that parka and gloves i got really come in handy now

my x-terrains kick some ass in the snow last year. And thats all i have to say about that.

When I got my BFGs 31" AT/KOs last year we did not get alot of snow after that, so I'm ready this year, so far no snow where I'm at, but plenty in the mountains around me.

I'm in MT and my explorer is in CO :(
my BFGoodrich Traction TA's on my car are good in the snow though :)

No snow here yet, but my Toyo Open Country A/T's rocked in the snow last year. I didn't use chains at all. Siping makes a noticeable difference too.

We got about an inch or 2 just north of detroit. Havent had a chance to drive the ex in the snow yet. its got nice Toyos on it. Can't wait.

I have some 31" GDY SS's, they are good in the few inches we got yesterday, yesterday afternoon was a little hairy, slush came down and freezing temps = icy streets today. Skated a little, no biggie! Supposed to get dumped on today, anywhere from 4" - 9", believe it when I see it.

11/25/05: Well we got 4" - 5" between yesterday and this morning. :thumbsup: I got to go out when it was dumping, if there wasn't a sheet of ice under all of the snow. I probably would have had no problems, but, it seemed like every 2 seconds I was spinning. :eek: Nothing quite compares to coming to a stop sideways, after only going 10mph. :thumbdwn: The traffic was crazy going through town, especially people who don't usually drive in snow. :rolleyes: There were quite a few non-New Englanders out during a White Out. :eek: After that on the highway I got up to 60mph, with 3" - 4" on it with no problem and I could stop fairly easy too! :D So as of now, I'd have to say my tires aren't bad in the snow, but, ice... its like putting an elephant on iceskates!!! :eek: It ain't pretty!!!
Later - Nate

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

rino351 said:
I'm in MT and my explorer is in CO :(
my BFGoodrich Traction TA's on my car are good in the snow though :)

Have yo gotten snow yet in missoula? only had 4 inches a couple weeks ago and it has melted since. Its just so dry here in the desert. :confused:

Back