ntly Trouble shooting blown Fuses. After passenger mirror got broken off and wires cut. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ntly Trouble shooting blown Fuses. After passenger mirror got broken off and wires cut.

jonnywalker7

Reaction score
City, State
Livermore
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT AWD
Hi, everyone. I'm Jonny Walker, I have 2 Ford explorers 1999 & 2000 both XLT AWD. nice inter-changeable parts.
I've been An Explorer owner for 6 years, And recently I have been stumped by a misfortunate situation.
I was unloading some large wood beams off the top and one rolled off and broke my Passenger mirror clean off. It was hanging by the wires, And the engine was still running. I grabbed some wire cutters and snipped the Wires and tossed the mirror in the passenger side.
once i finished unloading the wood i realized that i had some new issues.
1. AWD light on and no longer engages,
2. Windows don't roll up or down
3. and AC is out.
Obviously I blew a Fuse or shorted something out.
I have done some searching and can't find what fuse has blown.
I tried connecting the cut wire ends to complete circuits and that didn't help.
I have yet to replace the mirror but will be ordering one soon.

Help! if anyone has any ideas, I am ALL ears.
Thank you in advance. JW

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The things I see in common between (just picking two subsystems to start with) your windows and the mirror (courtesy lamp) is the interior fuse panel #26 fuse and the Battery Saver Relay, but AFAIK, either of those going out, should make more things go out than what you've listed. Even so, it wouldn't hurt to double check that fuse and swap the battery saver relay with another of the same type, from the same relay box as it may have a few of same type like the dimmer relay or (window) one-touch-down relay. That relay box is probably up under the dash on the right side of the driver's footwell.

This looks like something where you may end up having to grab the wiring diagrams linked in my sig and a multimeter and trace out each circuit to see where the (12V) power stops. I don't see any connection to the A/C. What about A/C isn't working? The fan or the compressor won't cycle on or ???

Does the GEM module control any of those systems?

GEM controls the 95+ power windows, and as for the windows, not 100% sure but i think it does... to see about the window, i would start by removing the door panel and inspecting the wires for damage, as ripping the wire couldve caused damage to other components as well... as for the AC its connected to the engine components, so the AC and AWD could have been caused to some extent by the pcm, maybe it caused a problem with the ecm, because i feel as if the ecm has some bearing on the pcm to some extent but not sure i dont have a v8... hope this helps tho!!!!

AWD light? You must mean 4wd lights.

Did you check the fuse box under the hood?

@Mbrooks420 oh, i didnt realize its a v6... if so, its probably something either with the gem or a blown fure going to the windows and mirrors... as for the AC and 4wd, thats probably the pcm and or relating fuses and wiring... i think

Back