Odd power steering problem, help.

storlied

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 5.0L V8 AWD XLT
Was taking a sharp right turn last night into my parking spot and out of nowhere... the power steering starts whining.

Fast forward to the next morning, I go outside n fire the truck up n pop the hood.... fluid is low... brown.. and slushy with ice..

But there's no evidence of any leaks or anything like that.....

help..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Definately shouldn't be either slushy or brown, it sounds like it got contaminated with water maybe, this does sound very odd and I'm out of ideas

I think the main thing that needs to happen here, is a fluid change.. but if there's ice in the system.. I'm gonna be running into problems without a warm place to do this..

Agreed, get as much of that contaminated stuff out of the system as you can, you may have to flush it a couple times, keep in mind the rack and pinion hold about a pint or two inside of the rack cylinder.

Is there a quick drain point somewhere?

Will the fluid get to a good temp if I let the engine run?

You may have to take off the return line at the pwr steering pump to get most of it out. Not an easy spot to reach but the only other place would be at the rack unit and that will be even harder to get to. Here's the procedure for that:
98-ExpPwr-Steering-Bleeding-SR

Topped the fluid off with lucas leak fixer, noise is lessened.. but it's still there.. and it feels funny from time to time... A fluid change needs to happen soon..

Back