OEM Or Aftermarket Brakes? Recommendations. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OEM Or Aftermarket Brakes? Recommendations.

CC Rider

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Limited
Hello, I just purchased a 2015 Explorer Limited with only 9K on the odometer and it's great. I just wanted opinions on replacement parts when the time comes, namely brake pads and rotors. I plan on doing that work myself, and I'm inclined to go OEM/Motorcraft, since the vehicle is still under warranty.

I have read that AutoZone's top of the line parts exceed OEM requirements. I am also looking at ceramic pads as the choice to use for low dust and noise. Opinions are solicited and welcomed!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are a few items that I prefer to buy OEM instead of aftermarket. Brake pads, rotors and wiper blades. The made in China rotors from the auto parts stores show lots of rust on the areas that the pads don't contact and tend to warp easier in my experience. And I swear that no matter what brand I buy, the wiper blades from the dealership always last longer and wipe better.

Thanks Charles for your reply. I too am leaning towards OEM brake components, I still have OEM pads and rotors for a 2007 Z51 Corvette I no longer own; I'm ready to sell them cheap, lol!

I'd stick with OEM parts as well in regards to brakes. They do a great job and since all models now carry the Sport brake system (pads, rotors and calipers), there is no reason to go aftermarket.

There are vendors on here and on the net that sell them much cheaper (10% above cost) BUT you then pay for shipping if they are not running specials.

Powerstop rotors and ceramic pads from Rock Auto. All 4 wheels under $250. Originals went 70K miles.

Purchased Wagner Pads and Rotors as an employee purchase through the company I work for so the price was right. The rotors are e-coated black on the non-contact (center and outer edge) areas to prevent or minimize the rusty look as mentioned in post #2 above.

Since you have a 2015 Limited, I really suggest you keep the stock brakes. They are the same ones used in the Sport and PI (except for PAD composition) and when I upgraded from my 2011 stock brakes, it was a huge improvement in performance. It's enough stopping power and heat dissipation. You really wouldn't need a better brake system.

Thanks, all for the great response and advice! When I first looked at the brakes on my Explorer on the lot before I bought it, I was impressed with the size of the front calipers as well as the large swept area of the front and rear rotors.

I have no doubt that they have good stopping power, and they have excellent feel as well. I'm really enjoying the smooth ride and quiet of the vehicle; I'm looking forward to a road trip soon!

Just ordered a 2017 XLT with 202a but forgot to ask that question?

We really enjoyed the Onstar app that allow vehicle start for a distance away.

Scott

"SYNC Connect" is not yet available on the 2017 Explorer.

I have a 2014 Explorer Sport and am frustrated by the crappy OE brakes. I've had to have the fronts replaced due to warping within the first 20,000 km, and now I'm being told that one of the rears is down to 4mm at only 37,000 km (23kmi).

I'm considering the Power Stop K6375 brake kit:
http://www.powerstop.com/product/po...Heavy Duty Brakes; 352mm (13.86) Front Rotors

Has anyone used this kit? It seems to get decent reviews online.

They also have an "OE" kit without the slotted rotors.

since powerstop is not part of the centric brand family (as is stop tech) I don't trust them as I used to. But they are probably OK.

To the OP - as far as rotors go I would hit up rock auto - find the cost on the motorcraft rotor - then check for a wagner, raybestos, or bendix rotor. if either of those was cheaper than the motorcraft within say 20 dollar or more - get that brand - quality rotor. Why - they are probably the OEM for the motorcraft meaning their material is quality checked and the rotors are checked for true like the OEM is.

Also wagner, raybestos, and bendix are the 3 biggest OE supplier. With PBR, DBA, and AXXIS being the next set - and those are mostly asian based.

to that end - stay away from Centric rotors - they are chinese - but then so are the others. THEY are not OEM sources though - they don't have to hold any material standards like the others do and they also might not cast their blanks to the same standard. there is a reason they are cheaper. ANd yes the wagner, raybestos, and bendix might start their lives in china as well.

What you are paying for - quality, Consistent material in the rotor from edge to center, dimensional accuracy and properly balanced.

Pads - you want a quality Ceramic base material pad. Other than say a Hawk Ceramic - I like Wagner Thermo-Quiet pads for DD use.

I have a 2014 Explorer Sport and am frustrated by the crappy OE brakes. I've had to have the fronts replaced due to warping within the first 20,000 km, and now I'm being told that one of the rears is down to 4mm at only 37,000 km (23kmi).

I'm considering the Power Stop K6375 brake kit:
http://www.powerstop.com/product/power-stop-z16-kit/#y=2014&mk=FORD&mo=EXPLORER&ss=Heavy Duty Brakes; 352mm (13.86) Front Rotors

Has anyone used this kit? It seems to get decent reviews online.

They also have an "OE" kit without the slotted rotors.

can you get it without the drilled part. IE slotted ONLY. I would consider that. drilled rotors don't do anything for you. Slots do - but at athe cost of pad life and noise.

If you can't do slotted only then get plain ones. my 0.03

are they sized bigger than OEM - doesn't look like it. If not then I would get some other base rotor - question do you drive the car aggressively?

I replaced all 4 pads and rotors on my '12 XLT around 50k . For pads I went with the Wagner OEX and they have been great thus far (around 15k on them). I went with the Wagner rotors with the e-coating on them. Rotors aren't a rusty mess like the stockers were. All from RockAuto. Just my .02.

I agree with Post#2. I have purchased aftermarkets pads and rotors for my previous cars and they would rust fast and generate lots of brake dust. I do not notice it as much with OEM so I prefer to stick with it. Buying the parts only through Rockauto is a huge plus with great savings.

Thanks guys. Based on the Z23 reviews, I'm going to shy away. Seems that squealing is a potential big issue, and I don't want to open that can of worms. I have been considering the new Wagner OEX and these seem like a good alternative. What are the best "performance" rotors that you guys have used? Rockauto has good selection, but mostly Centric brand.

I had intentions to stay OEM with brakes but the price difference changed my mind. I was able to buy top of the line coated rotors and premium pads (AC Delco) for hundreds less. Brakes feel just as good as oem once bedded in and the coating id holding up great so far. I hate rust in rotors so the coating was a a big factor in deciding. I did front and rear pads and rotos for 500.00 with tax Canadian But I do have a parts account. Even with the discount it was cheaper to go aftermarket. We well see how it compares long term but there wasnt anything special about the OE parts. The aftermarket parts also have lifetime warranty on rotor warping and braking surfaces coming off (not wear)

Oh and I will add, If doing your own work, pay close attention to the rear caliper brackets. these are the cause of all accelerated brake wear in the rear. Rust forms under them pad clips and causes them to get stuck on. took me an extra hour per side to file down to clean metal again and heaily lubed underneath. I will check them again after winter and before next winter. I have also had wheel bearing issues due to the extrem hear caused but the brakes sticking on.

My fuel mileage has also increased from high 10s-low 11s to high 9s low 10s on long trips now that the pads are not sticking.

I had intentions to stay OEM with brakes but the price difference changed my mind. I was able to buy top of the line coated rotors and premium pads (AC Delco) for hundreds less. Brakes feel just as good as oem once bedded in and the coating id holding up great so far. I hate rust in rotors so the coating was a a big factor in deciding. I did front and rear pads and rotos for 500.00 with tax Canadian But I do have a parts account. Even with the discount it was cheaper to go aftermarket. We well see how it compares long term but there wasnt anything special about the OE parts. The aftermarket parts also have lifetime warranty on rotor warping and braking surfaces coming off (not wear)

Oh and I will add, If doing your own work, pay close attention to the rear caliper brackets. these are the cause of all accelerated brake wear in the rear. Rust forms under them pad clips and causes them to get stuck on. took me an extra hour per side to file down to clean metal again and heaily lubed underneath. I will check them again after winter and before next winter. I have also had wheel bearing issues due to the extrem hear caused but the brakes sticking on.

My fuel mileage has also increased from high 10s-low 11s to high 9s low 10s on long trips now that the pads are not sticking.

I think you have that reversed. :)

Unless he's quoting L/100km instead of MPG. Anyways, I've always switched to aftermarket brakes/rotors/calipers in all my cars whenever the time came to replace them. You get better quality for less, and none of these items are ever a warranty item, unless you pay for the ridiculously expensive maintenance program (which does include brakes).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just yesterday I was rotating tires on our 2014 Ex, 40,000 miles. With tires removed inspected the brakes, fronts were just ok, back pads were great. As is typical the bracket holding the clips had quite a bit of corrosion under the clips. Removed the clips, cleaned them up and brushed the area under the clips extensively. They are now clean and should hold up without issue through the winter. I just ordered a set of Wagner OEX front pads from RockAuto. Not OEM but from what I have read the Wagner OEX stops shorter, less dust, less heat and last 50% longer with less wear of rotor. I plan on changing the fronts later this fall. We live in the mountains during the winter with a 12 mile drive almost everyday up a narrow canyon with many switchbacks. The most avalanche prone road in NA with annual snowfall of 500". Ride up is easy on brakes, ride down not so much. They looked ok and probably would have made it through the winter but for $30 why take a chance.

Back