Oil change failed - Filter can't be removed!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil change failed - Filter can't be removed!!

tripplec

Reaction score
City, State
Bowmanville, ON Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Explorer LTD AWD
Well its been done in the summer which may make the rubber seal more pliable. However I did warm the engine prior to draining it for my son. We've been using a nylon tool which goes on the end. Its equipped with a 3/8" opening for a ratchet but really useless unless the filter is loose to start with. It has a nut looking end around it and needs a 1" socket to got on and is approx. 1/4" deep at best.

As you know the filter is on an angle, maybe 45 degrees so getting the ratchet socket combination with a 6" extension to hold square over the nylon nut is very difficult. This the time it slid off rounding the corners on each attempt. Swing room is poor and with everything being vertical I am working with everything at an angle.

There has to be a better tool (metal) will be mandatory as well. No real room for more than one hand to snug at best. I installed this filter myself and after hand tightening I put the tool on and tightened it a bit more. Not a lot so its must be the colder weather causing some extra grief. Only a oil filter cap design can be used and must be something else out there other than the useless plastic ones which aren't any good with a lot of access space for the ratchet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you using the plastic/graphite Hopkins #6 cap wrench for the FL-820S filter? Excellent product, but as you've found it's very soft material. To avoid rounding, use a SIX POINT socket. If at a 45* angle, a 3/8" universal joint would probably work. Good tip to hold the socket on the filter nut is to stuff a single layer of paper towel inside the socket.

I tried a universal joint and its no good. Everything is moving around way too much. Yes it was 6 point as the plastic end is on the tool. Problem with them as above you can't keep it square/flush and apply any meaningful leverage with it moving then slipping off. Its all because of the angle and not room 3" extension is too short I can't be the only one have this issue.

Also why on earth did they use a 16mm drain plug. I got 4 or 5 sets and not all have that size You don't have enough room for even a 3/8" setup to get it out. Fortunately I have a Huskys socket set which has a long bolt hole through the socket and ratchet which make it quite shallow and it works. All my other tools won't!!! LOL

In your case I'd be tempted to glue or epoxy the socket to the filter nut with JB Weld or other another good adhesive. Done.

Never tighten the filter with anything. I’ve had to remove them from other peoples cars with channel locks, and in one case a set of screwdrivers hammered through the filter. If it’s super tight I’d drill a few self tapping sheet metal screws through the tool and into the filter. They do have a metal filter wrench that uses a 3/8s drive and punches the filter on two sides.

That Prince auto one works in one direction. The other should work either way. I have smaller one of those for my ATV oil filter to get it off. Only loosens.

I have the princess auto one from about 15 years ago, unless it has changed it goes both ways, the arms just flip around to tighten. not too tight though, as it will crush the filter if you go too hard.

Many times my grip is limited and I don't go more the a 1/4 if just bottomed out or less if I managed to get some hand tightening in with better grip.

I use a 12" x 3/8 wobble extension on a flex head 3/8 ratchet with a cup type tool. Does the job for me.

Am I the only one who hand tightens their oil filter? Tighten down the filter by hand until snug, then grab on real tight and give it a few more attempts to tighten it down further. After the oil change is complete and everything is wiped down, start up the vehicle for a minute or two, crawl back under the vehicle and make sure nothing is leaking from the drain plug or filter.

I guess so. Thing is on some vehicles you can get your hands around it good with leverage. On this V8, certainly not with very little clearance around it. I don't use a wrench on others I change (3 different ones). I don't go wild when I use a wrench just more than I can muster in my strength right now.

And as everyone here knows, ALWAYS clean the block and lubricate the oil filter o-ring seal with a light coat of clean oil.

Oil change 101, and just a reminder. ;) Remember not long ago leaving the old seal stuck on the block. What a mess!

Yeap, been there done that. But was decades ago but the lesson remains in the fore front.

We've been using a nylon tool which goes on the end. Its equipped with a 3/8" opening for a ratchet but really useless unless the filter is loose to start with. It has a nut looking end around it and needs a 1" socket to got on and is approx. 1/4" deep at best.

As you know the filter is on an angle, maybe 45 degrees so getting the ratchet socket combination with a 6" extension to hold square over the nylon nut is very difficult. This the time it slid off rounding the corners on each attempt. Swing room is poor and with everything being vertical I am working with everything at an angle.
In your case I'd be tempted to glue or epoxy the socket to the filter nut with JB Weld or other another good adhesive. Done.
Have you considered the paper towel trick or bonding the socket to the filter nut? You could double up the paper and tap the socket on with a hammer for a super tight fit. Unless you want to buy more tools it's worth a shot. Almost everyone in this sub forum with the 4.6L has changed their oil filter, but don't recall it being such a big problem.

Am I the only one who hand tightens their oil filter? Tighten down the filter by hand until snug, then grab on real tight and give it a few more attempts to tighten it down further. After the oil change is complete and everything is wiped down, start up the vehicle for a minute or two, crawl back under the vehicle and make sure nothing is leaking from the drain plug or filter.
No - you are not. You are aware of a very special secret known by very few of us - If it doesn't leak now it probably won't leak later.
Has anyone noticed how thick that gasket is? Even with oil on your hands (yeah - you wipe if off but some of it is still there) it would be difficult to not get a good seal by hand if the surface is clean and the old gasket wasn't left behind. I'm not a brute - as a computer programmer by profession my hand strength is not considered a benchmark for performance - yet I only hand tighten my filters.
Then, when I change the oil the next time, I need a wrench to get the old filter off. Either I have, by some weird Darwinian evolution, an ability to apply more torque to tightening than loosening or the filter naturally tightens by repeated heating and cooling cycles.

Hah, ok I'm glad I'm not the only one! I heard several people tell me that it needs to be torqued down to a specific spec or it will spew oil all over the place. My favorite thing to do is a first time oil change on a new to me, used vehicle. I like to see how insanely over tight the filter is on.

I normally can get my filter off by hand, but it's usually harder to remove. I'm with your guess though... all of those heat/cool cycles probably sucks the filter tighter in there.

I use an FL820 and this SureBilt(?) cap wrench fits it perfectly!...it’s fluted just like the filter is.
061BA383-A014-4AF1-AA25-9444E686DD57.jpeg

...3/8ths drive, use with an extension and if you need to use a swivel, wrap electrical tape around it so it doesn’t flop around or get a impact swivel.

Always tighten the filter by hand only!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use an FL820 and this SureBilt(?) cap wrench fits it perfectly!...it’s fluted just like the filter is.
View attachment 152071
...3/8ths drive, use with an extension and if you need to use a swivel, wrap electrical tape around it so it doesn’t flop around or get a impact swivel.

Always tighten the filter by hand only!

Yes! This is the tool I normally have to use when removing an oil filter for the first time. I think I picked mine up at AutoZone for like $2 if I remember correctly...

Back