Oil Change | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Change

BlackOut33

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer Ltd
Hey Guys, Hows it going hope everyone is trying to stay cool its really hot over here in Canada

Anyways I took my SUV in to my mechanic for a oil change this morning he had a little bit of a hard time removing my other oil filter but he managed to get it off with a bit of play he wiped everything down really good filled up my oil

Went home parked the SUV in the Garage came back out an hour later had to go run a quick errand and I noticed a drop of oil on the garage floor so im like what the hell now! So I go look under neath and see a little tiny bit of oil on the bar area in the front wiped it down really good went back over to my mechanic and said what the hell I see a bit of old oil drip he lifted the suv up did a inspection didnt see any OIL leaks sprayed some of that Brake Cleaner stuff wiped everything down got home parked SUV in the garage went back out couple hours later to make sure it was good no drips on garage floor but I noticed that area I wiped there was a bit of like an OIL SWEAT I would say so I gave it another wipe.

Any idea what the hell it can be? Never happened to me before!

Let me know guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably just from a splash or something when removing the oil filter, or maybe something dripped when they refilled.

Hey Joe, Thanks for the reply buddy I checked right now underneath the SUV and it seems bone dry its so HOTT over here in Canada

I was thinking maybe a oil sweat or something

Thanks for replying! Means alot

No problem... 96*F here today... :)

hey guys quick question i just gotmy xplorer it has 130k this would be my first oil change which is the best oil and grade to use? thanks

doing my first oil change on my 02xlt it has 130k which is the best oil and grade to put on her

doing my first oil change on my 02xlt it has 130k which is the best oil and grade to put on her

To be perfectly honest, as long as the weight is correct and brand is reputable, you're engine is going to be treated just fine regardless of it being synthetic or conventional.

I have a 4.6L, so I use 5W20. I've grown up using Mobil1 and have always been pleased with it, and get it for a decent price. I use synthetic primarily because it started off with it and I would not dare downgrade, and secondarily because I can go a little longer between changes (and it can withstand higher temps without breaking down - not that big of a deal for casual drivers though).

At the end of the day, go with what your wallet deems best.

Head over to WalMart- grab a jug of Motorcraft Semi-Syn and a Motorcraft filter. Consistently high marks over on bobtheoilguy.com site, it's a very good product...

Oil sweat due to hot weather. That's a new one..........

I have very small oil leaks ever since I switched to fully synthetic. Nothing to worry about. It might just be the oil pan gasket thats gone bad

I have very small oil leaks ever since I switched to fully synthetic. Nothing to worry about. It might just be the oil pan gasket thats gone bad

Thats really common when you put syn in an older engine. The syn has a way of getting into smaller cracks, which is one of the reasons it's better. I usually buy Mobile 1 at Walmart. $23 for 5 quarts is a pretty good deal. Not worth putting really expensive oil in an old engine.

You could try using oil formulated for older engines because it has additives that swell the seals a little to stop leaks. My old Mounty had a leaking rear main. I used Mobile 1 for older engines and poured in a can of Bars, and it actually stopped the leak. Saved me a really expensive repair.

I run amsoil flush in the motor prior to doing an oil change. This step helps clean up all the internals. Then I drain it all out, and remove the oil filter. I chose to run royal purple 5w30 full synthetic oil and there oil filter. Also before I installed the oil filter I filled it up with oil and then screwed it on. Reinstalled the drain plug after wiping everything clean and poured in 5 quarts. Good to go for the rest of the year.

Back