• Register Today It's free!

Oil Contamination question

DaSovietPotato

Reaction score
City, State
Cheyenne, WY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Eddie Bauer
I have had my explorer for a couple years and have noticed that the oil noticeably darkens after trips on the highway, more so than driving around town. I first noticed it after a 150 mile drive through the mountains after I had changed my oil the previous day. I initially dismissed the observation until my father mentioned it to me when he daily drove it for the year that I was away. I was wondering if there is any specific issue which would be causing this or if it is any maintenance issue at all. Here is a list of what I think could be a cause, but make sure to make any suggestions if I might be missing something:
1. From the blow-by which would occur under high loads and RPM.
2. Possibly some build up in the oil system which enters the oil under highway driving.
3. Some kind of fluid contamination which occurs under higher RPM.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have had my explorer for a couple years and have noticed that the oil noticeably darkens after trips on the highway, more so than driving around town. I first noticed it after a 150 mile drive through the mountains after I had changed my oil the previous day. I initially dismissed the observation until my father mentioned it to me when he daily drove it for the year that I was away. I was wondering if there is any specific issue which would be causing this or if it is any maintenance issue at all. Here is a list of what I think could be a cause, but make sure to make any suggestions if I might be missing something:
1. From the blow-by which would occur under high loads and RPM.
2. Possibly some build up in the oil system which enters the oil under highway driving.
3. Some kind of fluid contamination which occurs under higher RPM.
could be that or soot, is it syn or dino oil? or it could turn black fast if the oil gets reslly hot for extended periouds of time. could also get a sample sent in maybe that coyld help

i find fluid contamination unlikely since the fluids that are nearby, none are black. only thing is coolant, but you would notice that imo

Next oil change do a flush procedure, or dump a quart of transmission fluid in and drive with it for a week before your next change.

I wouldn’t be concerned.

150 mile drive should not in any drive condition significantly change the color of oil that has been allowed to rest. Did you change the filter at the same time?

I’m guessing there’s some residual sludge and being ran for longer, or at higher RPMs, softens it up, and the additives in the new oil pick up some of it.

Back