• Register Today It's free!

Oil dipstick trouble

Lizardmasterrich

Reaction score
City, State
St Petersburg florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer xls
I am having some trouble reading the oil dipstick on my 02 explorer 4.0, I'm not sure if the tip broke off in the past or if I'm just reading it wrong but the tip doesn't look like anything in the manual or anything I've seen on any forums.
20181019_112220.jpg
20181019_112150.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is odd looking, it should at least have some writing on it for "FULL"! with arrows.
This stick is from my 1997 OHV for reference, now the SOHC may be different.
yVg_y4R6Y7AoiTIkdOQg1hbRd7W6nPtokDDYYpkbL-70z2Vs4C8i-b7Skx1U9LpQudfo3IqO0FU4pbEgKatPrr_zu9SE173L9HmdyaJiTpE2BzRoeqZiFbMKV__1lyvAjpw39j_gIRDgpFmIb62uanba8N9yi_mmtw6b5pOYCHs6oxkRr5n8wvv071OJhlY1C_ii3qo8rLRB2iyokx0-sclXh3Z-emuE6Q2wSkl58_OvqkUJmyPJq5krsBlNUmgsc8rrw__EE-sfWJtYufy9xi6Y4gqto-TR4KEUB1Edf7KmOV14nCKU3XbMZzlfIwXeRsW2_EbbceV3OruIhfyZoDYEzs7fPfWYyz9gYFg_b4gz911W24tS-lH_Xvs6ziTrweRnpN7mwV7QgpASIdViJDzMtItdnGuY_LNVLwdU5Lopx-5xSYXGkO2XpktIhQiDYztf3Np5ZqL4a58waZCCU1-xQKCLxFEFrZRftRRW8Et5lihP0BYLpuH78LcOoki0WNy4RFo40sm4sNHitWGBCCbyobhNp_hnipaL8J5zCg29QaSKyuOtCoC3mHoZnMv3atYwvHzXyevNmJn6jMgFLSBS9NF2hP0cLdxFpPZRDQsZRwSe_K3BHXb8lqyjqR4=w1264-h948-no

There was a code stamped on it and it appears to be OEM from something
1L2E-6750-DB is the code, it has a yellow handle

You are not the first to see this issue

oil dip stick length..urgent!!!

I think the consensus is that if you don't see any oil on the cross hatch you are low. Ford did a lot of weird things with the 3rd gens.

I do not believe that is the original dipstick from that engine.

OP does not mention if this is a new vehicle to them.

At this point it is most important to make sure that there is the correct level of oil in the crankcase.

I recommend that the OP do a complete drain and refill, including filter. On my ‘02 4.0 SOHC, 5 quarts puts me right at the top of the cross-hatched section, indicating full.

Never guess with the oil level in these engines.

^ Agree wrong dipstick. There is no LOWER oil indicator hole in the OP's pic. See Illustration from TSB linked in post #7.

That is odd looking, it should at least have some writing on it for "FULL"! with arrows.
This stick is from my 1997 OHV for reference, now the SOHC may be different.
yVg_y4R6Y7AoiTIkdOQg1hbRd7W6nPtokDDYYpkbL-70z2Vs4C8i-b7Skx1U9LpQudfo3IqO0FU4pbEgKatPrr_zu9SE173L9HmdyaJiTpE2BzRoeqZiFbMKV__1lyvAjpw39j_gIRDgpFmIb62uanba8N9yi_mmtw6b5pOYCHs6oxkRr5n8wvv071OJhlY1C_ii3qo8rLRB2iyokx0-sclXh3Z-emuE6Q2wSkl58_OvqkUJmyPJq5krsBlNUmgsc8rrw__EE-sfWJtYufy9xi6Y4gqto-TR4KEUB1Edf7KmOV14nCKU3XbMZzlfIwXeRsW2_EbbceV3OruIhfyZoDYEzs7fPfWYyz9gYFg_b4gz911W24tS-lH_Xvs6ziTrweRnpN7mwV7QgpASIdViJDzMtItdnGuY_LNVLwdU5Lopx-5xSYXGkO2XpktIhQiDYztf3Np5ZqL4a58waZCCU1-xQKCLxFEFrZRftRRW8Et5lihP0BYLpuH78LcOoki0WNy4RFo40sm4sNHitWGBCCbyobhNp_hnipaL8J5zCg29QaSKyuOtCoC3mHoZnMv3atYwvHzXyevNmJn6jMgFLSBS9NF2hP0cLdxFpPZRDQsZRwSe_K3BHXb8lqyjqR4=w1264-h948-no
This is what the dipstick on my 02 looks like. Try heading to the junkyard and finding one

I managed to order the correct dipstick and when I was putting in the new one it only went in halfway and after feeling with the old one I am almost certain that the previous owner before my family broke off the original dipstick in the tube and rather than fix the problem he just got a dipstick that fit all the way in the tube with the broken piece in it. My question now is if it is possible to take off the dipstick tube and fish out the broken piece myself or if I need to take it to my local garage to get it done.

If it's broken off, its probably in the bottom of the oil pan. You would have to remove the pan and then reinstall it

This looks like right thread. '02 Mountaineer, V6, new to me, one owner, always svcd/repaired by original dealer. Oil dipstick appears to be correct as it looks exactly like line drawing in the manual.

Two holes in it. XXXX markings above lower hole do not extend to upper hole, again just like manual drawing.

My Q is, what is full mark? Top of crosshatching or top hole? Manual doesn't say. Nothing on stick either.

This looks like right thread. '02 Mountaineer, V6, new to me, one owner, always svcd/repaired by original dealer. Oil dipstick appears to be correct as it looks exactly like line drawing in the manual.

Two holes in it. XXXX markings above lower hole do not extend to upper hole, again just like manual drawing.

My Q is, what is full mark? Top of crosshatching or top hole? Manual doesn't say. Nothing on stick either.

I wouldn't go above the upper hole.

See TSB 03-8-3 linked in post #7.

See TSB 03-8-3 linked in post #7.

Can't get that link to work but found the apparent answer in the next post below it. Looks like top end of crosshatching is 5 quarts, so top hole must be maybe 5 liters and/or do not overfill.

^ Try it now. Dipstick oil level illustration on bottom of TSB page.

Back