• Register Today It's free!

oil dipstick ????

glw165

Reaction score
City, State
mansfield ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 explorer sport 4x4
just bought 02 mountaineer with the 4.6 rattlin like crazy and i cannot find dipstick to check oil please help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok i found the tube broke off down by the bolt atr manifold, so i guess i need a whole new dipstick, to check the dang oil, its chattering like crazy, wondering if its just low of oil

I would guess it's been leaking oil out of the broken dipstick...

guess ill buy a dipstick just to see if its out of oil, though about just adding few quarts anyways cause its chattering so its bad anyways, lol

ok i found the tube broke off down by the bolt atr manifold, so i guess i need a whole new dipstick, to check the dang oil, its chattering like crazy, wondering if its just low of oil

Hopefully the chattering noise is something less harmful than this possibilty, but your engine could have broken "timing chain guides/cassettes", hence the loud chattering noise. Use the search box at the top of the forum and type that problem into the search box and it will pull up past posts on the subject. Include the year of your Explorer into your search along with the engine size. Also, some tranny torque converters have been known to rattle as well.

Back