Oil in Spark plug Well | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil in Spark plug Well

Merc02

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mountaineer 2wd V8
I've been having an issue where the engine bogs down when I'm in drive but at a stop, and when at highway speeds and start to pass. It clears up the more gas I give it. No error codes set. I changed the spark plugs with original Motorcraft plugs and it has cleared up for now.

HOWEVER, the rear plug on the passenger side had oil all around it. It had so much oil that the spark plug socket was fully covered in oil when I got the plug out. It also looks as if the ground tab on the plug had oil on it but not on the center electrode. But maybe it got there as I pulled the plug out.

What would cause oil to be in the Spark Plug Well?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Worn/broken oil rings or worn intake valve guides.....

that would get oil on the outside of the plug?

sounds like a leaky valve cover gasket to me. sometimes you can re torque the valve cover bolts and fix the leak temporarily. You should also see oil on the side of your head.

I am resurrecting this thread because I am experiencing the same issue as the OP.

I have oil (dried, crusty, burnt) in the rear passenger cylinder spark plug well which is causing severe hesitation and shaking from the engine of my 1996 Ford Explorer 4.0 OHV V6. I believe the engine is also burning oil because it appears about one quart low, and this vehicle has never leaked oil before. Unlike the OP, the Check Engine light is ON in my case.

If I take the valve cover off, what should I look for to determine the problem?

What do the Explorer Geniuses suggest as a solution to fix this problem?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

z71bam,
I never figured it out. I assume it was the valve cover gasket.
the bogging turned out to be a bad Coil Over Plug

Back