Oil leak coming from front of the engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil leak coming from front of the engine

Feliper43

Reaction score
City, State
El Paso, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998, Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 1998 Explorer XLT 4x4 With the 4.0 OHV and it seems like it is leaking oil from the front of the engine. The section where the lower control arms connect is caked in oil. The rear main seal has been replaced and I can’t seem to find the leak. I’m not sure if they were equipped with an oil cooler for the 4x4 system where it could be leaking from. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 1998 Explorer XLT 4x4 With the 4.0 OHV and it seems like it is leaking oil from the front of the engine. The section where the lower control arms connect is caked in oil. The rear main seal has been replaced and I can’t seem to find the leak. I’m not sure if they were equipped with an oil cooler for the 4x4 system where it could be leaking from. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Front diff vent is around, have you checked the hose?it has a white plastic cap at the end to vent the pressure from the front diff, it clogs and then you have something like an oil spill. Mine is also splashing oil in the same spot, I know I have to clean that vent hose but you know... Not enough time to spend on it yet.

Check the diff. My axle and pinion seals were shot and it was slinging oil everywhere.

Also check your valve covers for leaks. 4.0's are notorious for rust proofing themselves.

I second the valve cover leaks
With a strong flashlight follow the wetness up as high as possible

Valve covers leak like a seave on the ohv
the oil filter to engine block O ring can leak alot of oil, usually back on the rear of the engine block
the timing cover to oil pan around the front main seal can leak alot of oil also, this would be right under the front middle of the engine

Back