• Register Today It's free!

Oil pan drain bolt?

diverexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
I just bought my son a 1993 Ford Explorer XLT. I was trying to show him how to change the oil but couldn't find the oil pan drain bolt. I've changed a lot of oil on a lot of cars in my day, but I'll be da!*^*! but I can't see the oil pan drain bolt. There is a bolt on a drain pan, but this looks like the tranny, it's a cast block with a drain bolt. I thought it better to consult with someone before I drain the tranny fluid. Where the heck is the drain bolt on the oil pan? It's a 4.0L engine. I've read a few threads, but if someone has a picture I'd certainly appreciate it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'm about to get the flashlight, and use the camera phoen to get a picture, should help..

there isn't a transmission drain plug i don't think

The 4.0 OHV has a cast aluminum oil pan. The plug faces straight downward.

The plug as a 13mm and sits in a cast pan. Offset to one side.

I just bought my son a 1993 Ford Explorer XLT. I was trying to show him how to change the oil but couldn't find the oil pan drain bolt. I've changed a lot of oil on a lot of cars in my day, but I'll be da!*^*! but I can't see the oil pan drain bolt. There is a bolt on a drain pan, but this looks like the tranny, it's a cast block with a drain bolt. I thought it better to consult with someone before I drain the tranny fluid. Where the heck is the drain bolt on the oil pan? It's a 4.0L engine. I've read a few threads, but if someone has a picture I'd certainly appreciate it.

The oil drain plug faces directly downwards on what DOES look like a tranny case.

Don't worry about accidentally removing the transmission drain bolt, because there isn't one. Draining the transmission requires removing the entire transmission pan.

yrj

I have the same question for a 2000 ranger 4 cylinder 5 speed. I found a plug mounted horizontally on a alum. casing below the oil filter. It that a oil drain plug? the alum casing does not look like regular oil pan at all (at lease does not look like Aero Star's). I have changed oil on many vehivcles but never seen such a confused design and no diagram on user manual. the plug seems a 13mm one. Need advice.

Back