Oil Pressure Dropping at High RPMS, meaning?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Pressure Dropping at High RPMS, meaning??

Eli 91 XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Central Valley, Cali
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
Been searching for the past 1/2 hr or so and learned about how crummy our oil pressure gauges are.

Anyway, I just changed the oil and have noticed not difference, so here is my problem.

When passing/accelerating and rpms get close to 4500 rpms & higher, the oil pressure drops down. Not like on/off, but it transtions from normal to just about NOTHING.

What does this mean? It never did it before and wondering if I'm looking at some future problems?

Notes: Oil level is normal, use Motorcraft filter & 5w-30 oil.

Thanks for you help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i am not sure if the mopar filter meets the ford design specs as fords have issues with being incompatible with some types due to the location and orientation of the anti drainback valave.....

jimabena74 said:
i am not sure if the mopar filter meets the ford design specs as fords have issues with being incompatible with some types due to the location and orientation of the anti drainback valave.....
Thanks for the response jim..

I meant motorcraft, no mopar.

Any ideas on the droppping pressure? Thanks again!

i think you mean motorcraft.... mopar doesnt make a fl-1a filter that i know.... motorcraft has made fl-1a for decades

97BlackX5.0 said:
i think you mean motorcraft.... mopar doesnt make a fl-1a filter that i know.... motorcraft has made fl-1a for decades

Thank you for correcting me. I feel like such a dork :) I knew mopar is for dodges.

Now I understand the confusion. No wonder I got no responses :)

I have the exact same problem, any tips?

This is more of an idea then anything but could it be the oil pump pick up is getting clogged? Just a guess, but if you get on the gas then in theroy your oil psi should go higher so... could this be picking up stuff from the bottom of your oil pan?

not too familiar with the explorer issues of this, but on my blazer it was a bad oil sending unit and i also had a leak in the hose so when i would accelerate to around 4k the pressure would push the oil out the small leak in the hose and my oil pressure would drop to nothing, but around 2k it was find. like i mentioned early not sure if they have oil sending units like my blazer, but i would check that and for a small leak in the hose. hope that is of some help.

rich

If the oil drain holes in the heads are partially clogged, that would allow oil to accumulate in the valve covers, and starve the oil pump.

Like White95Explorer said, a clogged oil pump screen will also cause this, and is a distinct possibility. The oil pump would be cavitating at higher rpms because of the lower oil flow. I had a clogged screen on a 92 Mustang, caused by the pan sealant used by Ford at the factory. I'd check to see if your pan has a true gasket in place, or sealant was used in assembly.....

ROE

Back