Oil pressure issue. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil pressure issue.

paulmcg1997

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ford ranger
I have a 1997 Ford explorer 5.0 v8 XLT AWD. I bought it as a donor vehicle for my ranger. It had a problem with the oil pressure gauge and it would flicker up and down at idle but when it was running it would be right in the middle. Today I changed the sensor and did a oil change with filter, and it didn't have the issue for about 10 mins of it running and then it did it again. What can be the problem now? The oil pump? I think I'm hearing a knock but I'm not completely sure. The engine was 2 quarts low on oil and it was extremely black. So I'm thinking the worst right now. Keep in mind I am tearing this engine apart for performance upgrades, I just want to know what needs replaced maintenance wise.

The oil gauge, isn't a gauge at all, it's a glorified light. If it has a minimal pressure it shows in the middle range. It doesn't actually read anything. I'd install a real, mechanical gauge, at least temporarily to verify if you are actually having a problem.

The oil gauge, isn't a gauge at all, it's a glorified light. If it has a minimal pressure it shows in the middle range. It doesn't actually read anything. I'd install a real, mechanical gauge, at least temporarily to verify if you are actually having a problem.

You can at least do a test with temporary mechanical test gauge the factory gauge really is nothing but a fancy light bar about the only stock gauge that really is about completely useless until it's too late which is why I installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge on the a pillar. But if your tearing it appart anyway then your going to be changing bearings and oil pump anyway which is most likely the cost of loss of pressure but if it's knocking and the pressure does turn out low then I'd tear into it ASAP don't otherwise the machine shop bill is going to go up quite a bit.

Back