Ok, I'm completely stumped! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ok, I'm completely stumped!

I can't drive with the fuel pressure guage on, because it would be under the hood where I couldn't see it. I also have some news. For no apparent reason, the X was running almost normal this morning when I fired it up! At first I thought that it might be the temp sensor that elbow2342 suggested, since I almost never ever ever ever ever ever drive anywhere without letting the engine warm up first. (I have a remote start that I usually hit while I'm still in bed!) I thought I would try it cold this morning to see if it made a difference. I was happy to have finally found the problem, or so I thought. I drove around for a while, and the operating temp was up to normal, and it was still running almost perfectly! I put it to the test, and "drove it like I stole it" for about an hour and a half. I spun tires, went off road, and stayed on the gas hard the entire time. It only stumbled once or twice, and backfired once, but only slightly. And that was over the course of the entire 1 1/2 hours of hard driving. I don't want to just complain, but WTF? I'm glad that it's running better, but I want to know why! I keep checking wires and stuff looking for something that might be an intermittent problem, but I can't find anything. I even ran the "wiggle test" with my code scanner three times! Happy, but confused and concerned. I ran a quadruple shot of injector cleaner through it a few days ago, is there a chance that one or more of my injectors could have been clogged and causing my stumbling/backfiring/missing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi just wanted to make sure that we were on the same page as to your coolent temperature sender ..there are two ,one for your guage and one for the electronic control unit. THE engine coolent temp. sensor for the E.C.U. at least on my 94 is located beside the thermostat housing on the left side and has 2 wires.. the temp sender for the guage is on the right side of the thermostat and has 1 wire. the coolant temp sensor is a little hard to see with the a.c. pump in the way.. this sensor is not expensive and can make quite a difference..as it tells the computer to lean out the mixture as the engine warms up.It can make a big difference in fuel milage... elbow

Yeah, we're on the same page. That's probably something that I need to replace anyway. It seems like I'm replacing everything else on the engine right now!

Update: I'm thinking that my problem was dirty injectors all along! I have run an entire tank of 93 octane with a quadruple shot of good injector cleaner through it, and it is running like a new truck again! 273,853 miles, and running great again! Just in case anyone else has the same symptoms that I did, try the injectors first! Now, on to bigger and better things, like 33s, a lift, and 4:56 gears! May even be time to make that rack and a rear swingout! Fun, fun, fun!

I put a link in, but isn't there a way to "embed" a youtube video? I tried the enbed function there, but it just showed up as a bunch of code or something in the post.

I think that once I get a nice throaty muffler on here it will sound pretty bad-ass! The noise you can hear now is just the stock exhaust (all original) with a swiss-cheesed airbox! Maybe I can find the time (and money) to do some real work on it now!

MayJan glad to hear that you got the ex running and glad to help out.

Thanks! I was really starting to pull my hair out working on this! Just goes to show you, sometimes it really can be just something simple. Odd thing was that the MAF went bad at the same time as the injectors did! Oh well, just thrilled to have it back on the road again!

This sounds very similar to my issue. I had similar codes, and problems. Mine ended up being a bad PCM and a bad O2 sensor. When the O2 sensor was pegged on lean, I'd get a Fuel Pump Circuit Failure code. When the O2 sensor pegged to rich, I'd get a MAF Below Minimum Voltage code. Never once did I ever get a O2 sensor code. According to TSB's and other online research, Ford had much bigger problems with '94 PCM's than earlier or later years. With mine, I think the PCM shorted the O2 sensor, or visa vera.

I would have the CAT CONVERTORS checked. Sounds like the front one may be clogged preventing the exhaust from flowing out freely under acceleration. I had a similar issue. If you replaced your fuel pressure regulator recently then you might have been dumping partialy burned fuel into your cat in the form of carbon build up. this is my opinion.

Glad to here its up and running to were your happy with it again.
I was fighting a miss in mine for over a year but it kept moving around making it hard to find. It was a mix of problems in the end.
The Air temp. sensor in the upper intake manifold was way dirty (cleaned it being no money to throw at it)
Found one plug wire that was cross firing to ground now and then. Found when I touched it yup shock city.
Accel coil was going bad and yes was miss firing all over the place tell finally the #5 tower went dead,
Intake leak on lower intake gasket.

Like most this is also my DD and I live on SSDI so no extra cash for throwing at it.
the days of simple work and fixes like the old 60's and 70's autos are gone even the late 80's were easier then today’s . But once you’re into the 90's things changed as now you have to be part time shade tree mechanic and computer wiz. With all the tools of both and some new added ones.

Ok so when u say a triple shot of cleaner, is that 3 bottles? and what brand lol. I am having the exact same problems with my BII. If that works i am going to literally freek out lol. I have put like $250 in electronics and different parts trying to get it to work.

Never thought of that.

Hi just wanted to make sure that we were on the same page as to your coolent temperature sender ..there are two ,one for your guage and one for the electronic control unit. THE engine coolent temp. sensor for the E.C.U. at least on my 94 is located beside the thermostat housing on the left side and has 2 wires.. the temp sender for the guage is on the right side of the thermostat and has 1 wire. the coolant temp sensor is a little hard to see with the a.c. pump in the way.. this sensor is not expensive and can make quite a difference..as it tells the computer to lean out the mixture as the engine warms up.It can make a big difference in fuel milage... elbow

I was doing a radiator flush and I noticed that the engine coolent temp sensor for the E.C.U. was not connected all the way. I pushed it in and finished the flush. The truck seems to be running better but I thought it was because I tightened the lower intake manifold bolts; they were loose.

Just goes to show you, when your having problems, check everything.

Back