Ontario DriveClean - My log to clean up high NOX emission testing problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ontario DriveClean - My log to clean up high NOX emission testing problems

G-96XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, ONT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT , '00 Sport
If you live in Ontario you already know they stiffened the guidelines for light trucks and the explorer owners got ####ed.

The NOX (NO) limit in Ont for a 96 EX is now 548 while some US states are 1000+ ..

I failed the test and the re-test and now I'm going to chronicle my quest to clean it up and possibly get it down below the unrealistic 548..

shocking.. the retest was much worse ..

RESULTS ***************** TEST 1 DYNO TEST
------------ limit ----- reading
HC ppm ----- 50 ----- 8 ----- pass
CO% ------- 0.28 ----- 0.00 ----- pass
NO ppm ----- 548 ----- 882 ----- failed

RPM ----- 1418 ----- valid
Dilution ----- 14.5 ----- valid

curb idle

HC ppm ----- 200 ----- 7 ----- pass
CO% ------- 1.00 ----- 0.00 ----- pass
RPM ------- 792 ----- valid
Dilution ----- 14.4 ----- valid

--
1 Month and 3 days have passed, I started using better gas and put in that crap called "guaranteed to pass" from Canadian tire , also shook out the air filter and checked the oil and pumped up tires..

RESULTS ***************** TEST 2 DYNO TEST
---------- limit ----- reading
HC ppm ----- 50 ----- 13 ----- pass
CO% ------- 0.28 ----- 0.01 ----- pass
NO ppm ----- 548 ----- 1328 ----- failed

RPM ----- 1654 ----- valid
Dilution ----- 14.7 ----- valid

curb idle

HC ppm ----- 200 ----- 12 ----- pass
CO% ----- 1.00 ----- 0.00 ----- pass
RPM ----- 816 ----- valid
Dilution ----- 14.5 ----- valid

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What are some proven methods to clean up the NOX ?

Before I hit the big stuff like 02 sensors and catalytic , I will do the plugs , oil change, air filter change and run premium gas..

Don't feel bad if i had gotten an 882 today then i could have pass the california smog test today ......darn

my 1991 X is showing 1785 PPM on the Nox right now:eek:

yea i got some work to do:(

thank goodness where i live in georgia we've never even thought about emission testing yet....

lol, as long as you have headlights, a horn, and brakelights, you can roll tillt he tires fall off...

hell, i've seen trucks driving around with "farm truck" written on a piece of paper where ht elicense plates go park next to cops...

What some proven methods to clean up the NOX ? Before I hit the big stuff like 02 sensors and catalytic , I will do the plugs , oil change, air filter change and run premium gas..
NOX (oxides of nitrogen) is usually caused by a bad EGR valve or other EGR issue. This is something the OBD-2.com can help you with, along with a factory service manual.

02 and cats generally control HCs.

Thanks 96 thats some good news I guess.. I have one more $17 retest I can take and I can't wait to see the numbers from my mini tune up... also when I took the test today it was cold out and I had to wait almost 1 hr in line for the test.. maybe I should drive 300km in the morning and take it right in.

Some interesting news , there was some controversy and subsequently a report on the E testing in ontario and it showed huge differences between shops. If I fail the 2nd retest I have to pay full price again $37.50 so I will try a smaller shop.

from what I have heard so far the little things like oil and plugs make a difference.. but in your case it might be more serious.. if you only fail by a coulpe of hundred you can usually correct it with a tune up , better gas, the cleaner you put in the gas and oil change..

Some interesting news , there was some controversy and subsequently a report on the E testing in ontario and it showed huge differences between shops.

I was wondering about this. Do you know how they are determining NOx? Is it a tailpipe test? I'm wondering if the test is sensitive to the location of the probe in the tailpipe.

FWIW, I just had my Explorer smogged last Sept and they did not test for NOx. Just HC and CO.

My understanding is that NOx production is related to combustion temp and that is why EGR is used - by recirculating exhaust back into the intake it will lower combustion temp.

The three way catalyst is also supposed to reduce NOx - three way refers to reducing HC, CO and NOx.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter#Three-way_catalytic_converters

Test your EGR valve by applying vacuum to it while it runs, truck should stall out 100% with several inches of vacuum and up. Im going to assume it works somewhat or your reading would be thru the roof. Is it running hot, maybe thermostat is wrong range or you need cooler plugs etc. Just driving thru over and over wont make it pass, very rare since you tried it at least twice so that rules out operator error. EGR doesnt not open wide open throttle or under very slight throttle and no load also.

What some proven methods to clean up the NOX ? Before I hit the big stuff like 02 sensors and catalytic , I will do the plugs , oil change, air filter change and run premium gas..

For better emissions, DO NOT use premium gas. Explorer's are designed to run 87 octane, and more than this produces unburnt HC's and other pollutants.

What are your thoughts about Shell V-Power?
http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId=us-en&FC2=/us-en/html/iwgen/leftnavs/zzz_lhn3_4_0.html&FC3=/us-en/tailored/shell_for_motorists/fuels/optimax/optimax_about_ga_1602.html

I use it in my motorcycle. My plugs recommended change interval was 25,000kms. I changed them at 60,000kms. When I took them out, they were very clean with no carbon build up at all.
I know it's a totally different vehicle, but it makes me wonder if the v-power will benefit my truck.

I took a look at the article. Even Shell regular gas they say has more than 2x the EPA recommended detergents to reduce carbon build up. I would still be inclined to use regular gas (87 octane) for an Explorer over high octane v-power. Many members have posted other additives to use once in awhile to keep fuel system clean and reduce carbon buildup. I believe using Shell regular with added detergents + another once in awhile additive would be a better investment than running v-power high octane all the time.

Here is a site that explains octane rating;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

I came across this condensator that is supposed to reduce contaminants going into the combustion chamber. This product is supposed to increase mileage and reduce emissions.

i haven't ordered one myself but was thinking about it to see if it would give me better gas mileage its 180 bux though too expensive.

Here is the link http://www.condensator.com/

I read the testimonials and all of then were positive maybe something worth checking out. Looking at it i think you could probably make your own cheaper.

thats funny, thats a band aid for people that dont change their oil and have severely worn engines that burn blue smoke :D. Most engines have a baffle to prevent PCV gasses from entering. I just use those clear Mr.gasket glass fuel filters mounted upright to seperate oil from air. If you really want to cheat for emissions just block the pcv line temporarily if you dont want to change your oil before an emission test due to high HCs etc.
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/mrg-9748_w.jpg

UPDATE

It has been about 3 weeks since my last failure. I have done a minor tune up and got the ODB2 codes and will be going back for a 3rd e-test in 1-2 days.

So far I have done the following

changed all 6 plugs
changed EGR valve
oil change with slight flush
oil filter
air filter
top up fluids including brake and coolant , coolant was down about 200ml and reservoir empty

scanned and got code P0402 (egr flow excessive) , reset codes , came back after 10.

I have a brand new EGR so that leaves only the EGR sensor (DPFE) .. I will pull one from a scrap car and run it for a day or two with another DPFE before going for the 3rd e-test.

UPDATE

pulled a used DPFE sensor from the junk yard for $5 , retrofited the harness and hooked it up and reset the codes , drove about 40km and several start cycles and the P0402 did not come back. it used to come back after 10 mins before.. I will drive for one more day before going for the new e-test, it does feel about 5% smoother when running.

gotta say the ODB2 scanner is a great thing. I would have wasted time and money trying other things before.

UPDATE

pulled a used DPFE sensor from the junk yard for $5 , retrofited the harness and hooked it up and reset the codes , drove about 40km and several start cycles and the P0402 did not come back. it used to come back after 10 mins before.. I will drive for one more day before going for the new e-test, it does feel about 5% smoother when running.

gotta say the ODB2 scanner is a great thing. I would have wasted time and money trying other things before.

DPFE is a another common failure item. They get moisture in them and corrode up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

3RD E-test , another failure.. slight improvement over the first test but still far from a pass. I'm starting to think this E-testing in toronto is bullshit. looking at any US state or other province I would have passed with flying colors

RESULTS ***************** TEST 3 DYNO TEST
---------- limit ----- reading
HC ppm ----- 50 ----- 2 ----- pass
CO% ------- 0.28 ----- 0.00 ----- pass
NO ppm ----- 548 ----- 789 ----- failed

RPM ----- 1643----- valid
Dilution ----- 14.6 ----- valid

curb idle

HC ppm ----- 200 ----- 1 ----- pass
CO% ----- 1.00 ----- 0.00 ----- pass
RPM ----- 805 ----- valid
Dilution ----- 14.6 ----- valid