• Register Today It's free!

Opening stuck door latches

moneyguy

Reaction score
City, State
Nashua, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer
I recently ran into a problem with my rear doors on my '00 Explorer. They wouldn't unlock. Here is how I got them opened without damaging anything. The latch used in the pictures is the drivers door latch because I had already replaced it some time ago. All the latches are pretty much similar though.

1. Remove the door panel. This can be done fairly easily with the doors closed. No pics of this because it's too dark out.

2. Place a flashlight inside the door so it shines on the back side of the latch.

3. Find this hole

100_1897.jpg

4. Insert a small screw driver or wavy pick (similar to the one in the picture) into the hole. You want the blade of the screwdriver pointing up and down.

100_1898.jpg

5. Move the screw driver towards the inside of the car and the door should open.

100_1899.jpg

The problem with my rear door latches was that they don't get used very often. They were rusty and crappy. I sprayed the crap out of them with carburator cleaner and penetrating oil and moved all the mechanisms till they moved freely. Replacing them is definatly the reccomend fix for them though. I hope this helps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

good write up. to unlatch the second 1/2 of it i believe you will need to do the same thing to the other identical hole (not 100% sure tho, didnt take a close enough look yet)

i got it to unlatch from the same hole. might have to wiggle it a bit but it should work.

This really helped me out! Now to try and figure out how to get the rods off!

I need to fix my drivers door.... i cant get my hands in there for anything!!

awesome i think this what i needed to see.....1 question though can i do this with the rods still attached???
thanks
Danny

well i just wanna say THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH. after a year of trying to open my door with no luck i finally got the bi**h open. now comes the fun job of putting in a new latch and connecting the rods.
thanks again if it wasnt for this site and all the great people on here i would have burned this truck to the ground a long time ago
Danny :salute:

I second this, I just finished changing out my lock and couldn't have done it without your post.
Rob

this did not work on my 94 explorer. any other suggestion?

This worked perfect for my rear passenger door. Glad you had figured a way to open it, I was getting P*ssed.

Back