034x4's D44 SAS thread... | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

034x4's D44 SAS thread...

I think this is my first post here, but i've used this board for alot of research on explorer and ranger SAS. So i finally decided i should post my project and it's progress so far.

The truck originally is a 2003 edge 4x4. 37,000 miles with 4.10's/LS.
I had 3" body lift, fiberglass front fenders and cut rear fenders to have plenty of clearance for 35x12.50 BFG mudders. Made a trip down to savannah and on the way home my passenger hub bearing pretty much exploded. Taking with it, the pass knuckle, caliper, rotor, bent inner tie-rod, ground flat outter tie-rod. I already had the D44 in preperation for the SAS but with this, i decided to go ahead and start on it.

This is the ranger, in the beginning.

7cbc01ed.jpg

After the bearing failure, at 70mph on I-75 north...

2a08b95d.jpg

33975f5e.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

034x4 said:
BTW, fullwidth axles ARE made out of platinum.

ooo then im gonna make some platinum teef outta my fullwidth!!

BTW, you didnt answer my inquiry.

supergildo said:
btw jey, i still love you and i hope this doesnt affect the trip that you make to help me when i start my sas. lol

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Thats what the LOL is for. Hopefully i'll have a tow-rig and a fawkin trailer. No way in hell am I driving the rig that far!!

have you gotten a front DS yet?!?!?!

i wanna see this thing wheel dude, hurry up...

Drove into all the pics with my 2wd lol.

a9903368.jpg

fc43ad94.jpg

143da901.jpg

f0ffe4ba.jpg

96f2d3b0.jpg

3f82f9c6.jpg

0d16f53c.jpg

I need some bumpstops...drag link hits the frame at full compression and so does the bolt on the tie-rod for the assist ram which I still need to cut above the nut and cut some excess of the inner-forward u-bolt it hits the hydro bolt too. I'll be doing all of that this weekend when I install my spacers.

00c6a7fe.jpg

7d41dfeb.jpg

217c13b5.jpg

6cc4790c.jpg

9397856d.jpg

Paint that sheet metal inside the rear fenders. Will look much nicer. It is turning out nice. Now go get a front driveshaft and do some real wheeling :D . Trailer hitch tubing isnt that expensive.

Spacers installed and steering is now corrected I have 2.25 turns in either direction with no rubbing.

5c6c4b1a.jpg

a979df8f.jpg

38aa919b.jpg

bbe4b3e3.jpg

02fb39d4.jpg

63dc1b27.jpg

e05f3d00.jpg

yeah, dude, pay attention, its been said like 50 times...

Well I had me some fun today, about half-way home from wendy's I'm getting absolutely no power-assist in my steering and I can barely turn it, then once I turn to a certain degree It works fine.

come to find out I forgot to tighten the lock-nut on the 5/8 heim of the assist ram on the tie-rod side...so as I turned the wheel the pressure would fill up the ram, it would bottom out, then I would have pressure-assist again. Whoops. It's kind of interesting to see it in action though.

034x4 said:
BTW, fullwidth axles ARE made out of platinum.

tell me about it i just spent 1000 on a hp front 60

034x4 said:
so as I turned the wheel the pressure would fill up the ram, it would bottom out, then I would have pressure-assist again. Whoops. It's kind of interesting to see it in action though.

Just like i explained it to ya huh? :confused: . Its kinda weird once you understand how it works

Picked something up today.

98133bdf.jpg

Ordered my 1354cvflange-1310 adapter from tom woods. Should be here end of next week. Then I'll get it extended and modify my crossmember as needed.

My friend Jeremy's cherokee. 8 lug hp44 and d60. leafs rear and 3-link up front + trac bar. 37x12.50 MT/R's. 1 5/8 .120 wall cage with internally mounted radiator/fan/tranny cooler.

6a72f7ab.jpg

haha, i guess he doesn't drive much at night with no headlights... how does an internally mounted radiator & fan work? Is that the radiator i see behind the front right tire?

uh, can you say trail rig??

internally mounted means that its inside the jeep, like behind the backseat probably. its done to same room and keep it out of harms way...

hey jey, post some pics of his 3 link would ya??

and get a real camera already, youre driving me fawkin nuts with that damn camera phone. lmao...

Back