• Register Today It's free!

Opinions on 3rdGen Lifts

csmorris55

Reaction score
City, State
Sherman, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Eddie Bauer 97 XLT
So I've been reading several different threads and posts about lifts on the 3Gen Explorers. I have an 03 Eddie Bauer and from what I've gathered, the 3in BL (Performance 883 98-00 Ranger Kit) and the BTF Fabrications 2.25/1.75 spacer lift is the way to go. I'm just trying to inquire about these mods having any significant long term effects. If I were to go on a road trip after doing these mods, would I have anything to worry about besides gas mileage?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I've been reading several different threads and posts about lifts on the 3Gen Explorers. I have an 03 Eddie Bauer and from what I've gathered, the 3in BL (Performance 883 98-00 Ranger Kit) and the BTF Fabrications 2.25/1.75 spacer lift is the way to go. I'm just trying to inquire about these mods having any significant long term effects. If I were to go on a road trip after doing these mods, would I have anything to worry about besides gas mileage?

The only things are gas, and if you dont buy the UCA's that BTF makes you could potentially run into problems with the joint in the stock. Theres a thread with pictures of someone who didnt use them and the control arm tore. Other than that none really. I have the same spacers you want with the control arms and went on a 3k mile roadtrip and it was pretty nice. Didnt have a single problem. The 3in body lift though i dont have but people talk about having to extend the steering and some other goods. Not very knowledgeable on that stuff but. Long story short, with the spacers that big you may want to invest in his upper control arms as well. Just a sense of security. Wouldnt want to put my family in a car where the steering could go due to the ball joints and end up crashing. but you will be fine for a long road trip.. Just prepare for the gas prices..

I've been doing some reading on this as well. I hope to get mine lifter by next year. My main concern is with all the pics I've seen of broken coil springs. Since they are a weak point anyway, why not just go ahead and do the coil spring lift instead of the spacers? That way, you kill two birds with one stone? I know there are also drawbacks to a spring lift, but even if I decide to go with spacers, I may replace the springs with aftermarket parts.

The upper control arms and limiting straps are a must, if you ask me. Just looking at the angle on the upper ball joint makes me nervous, lol.

I don't like the idea of the spring lift since it puts your ride height in the upper end of travel. That means you will top out the strut sooner when the suspension unloads.

I did a spring type lift on struts on a different vehicle and I could hear it topping out the strut whenever I unloaded the suspension. That was on dirt roads at amusing speeds so I can't say whether or not you will run into that on explorer but if your lifting it I expect it to go off pavement sometimes.

~Mark

Ive taken mine into the dirt with the spacers and control arms and its done well. Didnt have troubles at all. Except for a puddle that ended up being about 5 feet deep.. Ive put on about 10k miles since i did the spacer lift and control arms and have yet to see a problem. The only thing is one of the alignment portions cant be done. I want to say it was camber that they couldn't get perfect.

Well I've gone ahead and ordered the BTF 1.75F/1.25R as well as the UCA's. I look forward to posting up pictures when it's all done!

Ive taken mine into the dirt with the spacers and control arms and its done well. Didnt have troubles at all. Except for a puddle that ended up being about 5 feet deep.. Ive put on about 10k miles since i did the spacer lift and control arms and have yet to see a problem. The only thing is one of the alignment portions cant be done. I want to say it was camber that they couldn't get perfect.

Did you have any broken factory springs when youi installed the lift? I just keep seeing pics of people with broken coil springs and junk. Been meaning to check mine. When I get around to it, I don't really plan on getting crazy off road. I'm too old, lol!

I'm thinking I may buy the spacers and go ahead and get some aftermarket replacement springs, since everything will already be apart. If I check them out and they are in good shape, I might skip it....but I'm not sure how good I'll feel about putting the old ones back in.

Did you have any broken factory springs when youi installed the lift? I just keep seeing pics of people with broken coil springs and junk. Been meaning to check mine. When I get around to it, I don't really plan on getting crazy off road. I'm too old, lol!

I'm thinking I may buy the spacers and go ahead and get some aftermarket replacement springs, since everything will already be apart. If I check them out and they are in good shape, I might skip it....but I'm not sure how good I'll feel about putting the old ones back in.

From what I've seen it seems the broken spring issue was mainly present in the 2002-2003 model years. Not sure if Ford had a bad run of them or something. If you are dead set on replacing springs only then I can say Moog makes a good quality replacement that you can get on RockAuto. Installing them is really a pain though, and if your struts are the original ones that came on the truck they may be worn out too. A lot of folks end up replacing the whole strut assembly, spring and all. Seems to be pretty cost effective. Primechoice Struttek offers some inexpensive units and people seem to like them. On my 2004 I ran moog coil springs and Monroe reflex struts....they were great. Monroe also makes a "quick strut" strut assembly that I'm told is good also.

The spacer lift is a pretty good bang for your buck but it has some limitations....and I agree with you 100% on limiting straps and uniball upper control arms.

Nope, no damages at all other than i scraped the hell out of my running boards when they were on my ex. But i have yet to have anything else. (knocking on wood). Ive even had it airborne twice with a buddy of mine from the forum here. we hit so hard his seat belt even locked threw him into my roof. Got out with nothing but crap tons of brush and mud stuck to my frame from the hit. the explorer really is a tough son of a *****!

And Ronin8002's idea with the shocks is good. Read alot about the moog and nothing but good. Plan on purchasing them when i get back from a deployment. To many other projects eating up my time. Working on a new cluster with blue leds and some other minor things. But if you do anything with the spacers id recommend the new UCA's asap. Worth the money for the knowledge of safety and peace of mind..

From what I've seen it seems the broken spring issue was mainly present in the 2002-2003 model years. Not sure if Ford had a bad run of them or something. If you are dead set on replacing springs only then I can say Moog makes a good quality replacement that you can get on RockAuto. Installing them is really a pain though, and if your struts are the original ones that came on the truck they may be worn out too. A lot of folks end up replacing the whole strut assembly, spring and all. Seems to be pretty cost effective. Primechoice Struttek offers some inexpensive units and people seem to like them. On my 2004 I ran moog coil springs and Monroe reflex struts....they were great. Monroe also makes a "quick strut" strut assembly that I'm told is good also.

The spacer lift is a pretty good bang for your buck but it has some limitations....and I agree with you 100% on limiting straps and uniball upper control arms.

Well, my fear was confirmed. I took a pic of my left rear coil spring while working on my parking brake today. Couldn't tell for sure if the right rear was broken, but I suspect that it is (just in a different spot.) I didn't get a chance to check the front springs, but I will be replacing all of them, regardless.

Since my struts don't look to hot, either, I'm sure it would be well worth the money, for me, to go ahead and buy them as a unit. A quick look on Autozone's website and I have a price of $181 each, for the spring/strut assembly. I'm sure I could find them cheaper online, but that put's me in the ballpark of the same price for the Ranch "quick lift" strut/spring assemblies. Catch my drift? I'm thinking the best option for me might be to go that route and then add a 1.5" body lift for a total of close to 3". That is about the level I'm looking for. If I go that route, do any of you know what the angle looks like on the upper ball joint? Would it still be a safe bet to go ahead and change them out and add limiting straps?

Here's a pic of my broken spring:
IMAG0864.jpg

Well, Rancho/Monroe right now is offering a buy 3/get one free deal on the Quicklifts or the Quick Struts. The "one free" is in the form of a rebate you get that you have to mail in (someone posted in the deals and discounts subforum on here).

Anyway, Rockauto sells the front/rear quicklifts for 177.79 each. Getting a rebate for one of the rears puts you at 533.37 before shipping. Oh and add in the 5% forum discount off that, and you'd make out really well cost-wise.

Just for comparison, the Monroe QuickStruts from Rockauto would add up to 343.37 before shipping and not counting the 5% discount.

I am not sure limiting straps would be needed with the Quicklifts. you could always see if the front spindles hit the springs at full droop and get them if they do. Ditto on the upper control arms.

Well, my fear was confirmed. I took a pic of my left rear coil spring while working on my parking brake today. Couldn't tell for sure if the right rear was broken, but I suspect that it is (just in a different spot.) I didn't get a chance to check the front springs, but I will be replacing all of them, regardless.

Since my struts don't look to hot, either, I'm sure it would be well worth the money, for me, to go ahead and buy them as a unit. A quick look on Autozone's website and I have a price of $181 each, for the spring/strut assembly. I'm sure I could find them cheaper online, but that put's me in the ballpark of the same price for the Ranch "quick lift" strut/spring assemblies. Catch my drift? I'm thinking the best option for me might be to go that route and then add a 1.5" body lift for a total of close to 3". That is about the level I'm looking for. If I go that route, do any of you know what the angle looks like on the upper ball joint? Would it still be a safe bet to go ahead and change them out and add limiting straps?

Here's a pic of my broken spring:
IMAG0864.jpg

Thanks for the breakdown, Ronin! Looks like that promo is going on through Oct 31st. I was able to find a pretty good coupon this morning for Advance Auto. My niece needed an alternator, which I get to install this evening. I think I'll see what else I can come up with as far as another discount through the parts store. I wasn't planning on ordering them just yet, but now I know I have a little time to research it. When I can get it down to a price I can't pass up, then I'll take the plunge. ;D

Well now I'm considering getting new struts/springs after hearing all of that! Especially since I'm running the 03, which according to Ronin, is a year of bad strut assemblies. The costs keep adding up, I'll be relieved when this whole project is done! haha

Back