Opinions on prices/what to look for | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Opinions on prices/what to look for

05ST

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac XLT 4x4
Hey all, just a quick back story... It's been a few months since I've posted to the site. I was mostly in the 01-05 ST section. Unfortunately I totaled my 05 ST back on Thanksgiving day on icy roads. I didn't have much time to look for another ST and there are not many for sale close to where I live. I ended up getting a sweet deal on an 06 F-150 FX4. LOVE it but it's more truck than I need and the MPG's are terrible. Now I have time to look for what I really want, preferably an 07-08 that I can trade even up with my F150.

So here's what I'd like opinions on... I've found a couple different ST's, what would you all choose... higher miles for more options, etc?...

07 XLT 4.0l 4WD, 95,311 miles, basic options, $13,495.

08 Limited 4.0 4WD, 123,883 miles, loaded w/heated leather, $14,477.

Also is there any major faults or issues I should look for with the 07-08's?

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got my '08 new, the only issues I've had are several front wheel bearings replaced (gotta love extended warranties), the alternator, and a cracked radiator. The wheel bearings and radiator are common problems.

I bought my '08 new as well. Only problem I had has the little doors on the sun visors baked off within 6 months, replaced on warranty.
When I was shopping I chose the V8 as it had little to no difference on mileage. The V8 gave me a class 4 hitch with 8500 pound pulling rating. The V8 trucks are geared differently than V6 trucks.
I was going to sell my truck last year, I found that V8 Sport Tracs are not out there. When I bought mine there was only 4 available in CA to choose from.

07 V8 4x4 99k miles, bought in 09 with 23k miles for $19,500
here are the problems I've had and fixed, so far all under warranty...
replaced 3rd brake light for leaking
passenger exhaust manifold and passenger wheel bearing ($5000+)
drivers exhaust manifold ($3500+)
cracked radiator ($500+)
reflashed transmission for weird "bump" feeling

Thats all I can think of, luckly I had a Carmax extended warranty thats about to expire so all of that was taken care of. I know it sounds bad but I still love the truck (they may change if I have to do something major after my warranty, lol)

PS - your bad gas mileage wont get any better with the V8, before the lift/level and programmer i was getting around 14-15 mpg (City) and 18-19 (Highway)

True, as mentioned above the V8's have problems with cracked exhaust manifolds and sometimes broken spark plugs. I wouldn't recommend a V8 for those reasons unless you tow a trailer and really need the extra power. The big hitch was optional on both V6 and V8 models. V8 towing capacity is higher but they have 3.55 gears and a six speed auto where the V6 has 3.73 gears and a five speed.

I'm sure its been discussed here, but Ford was a little strange in their equipment offerings. Or maybe dealers were just a little odd in their Sport Trac ordering criteria. I've seen plenty of Limiteds with cloth interior, no moon roof, manual HVAC controls, etc. On the flip side, I've seen XLT's with power heated leather seats, moon roof, driver info center, etc.

I personally preferred the look of the XLT (black lower accents) but preferred the gadgetry of the Limited, not so crazy about the monotone though. There was a dark olive green color that I thought looked pretty good. XLT color only though.

I drove a couple V6 STs and had no complaints, ample power for what I needed, smooth running and shifting. Drove a V8 and was hooked. I rarely get into the throttle, but when I do, its pretty entertaining and always impressive. I've towed my PWC with a 4 cylinder truck, so towing wasn't my motivator, but if you tow, its something to consider.

Where I live and where I drive, 4WD isn't really necessary. But I ended up with a 4X4, V8 Limited.

To answer your question, I'd go with the slightly more expensive, higher mileage Limited, or, whichever one is white. :^)

Thanks for the replies everyone!
The V8's are hard to find around here also, but I have no problem with the V6. I don't tow so that's not an issue, if it was I'd keep my 5.4l FX4 as it has the towing package.
As for mpg's right now w/the F150 I'm getting 11-12 on winter blend gas, hwy/cty. I'm sure that will improve in the warmer months but a ST V6 should be much better overall, my 05 ST was.
To Trac Marks, neither are white. 07 silver and 08 dk blue. Although I am also a sucker for white!!

Mine is the '08 dark blue, light tan cloth seats.
I did get 27 miles a gallon on a 300 mile stretch of the 99 from Long Beach to Fresno, one pass of 4200 feet included. 11 gallons for 300 miles at 48 miles per hour with a loaded trailer and truck.
Not my usual mileage for sure, I do drive the speed limit or less for the last 5 years as gas is so expensive on the west coast. My usual mileage at 2000 feet is 14 mpg in a town of 35mph average speed.
I did want a moon roof, the only ones I found was V6 models. My wife bought a '08 Ford Escape a few months later with a moon roof and it has been nothing but problems. Year after year of rain torrents in '08, '09 and '10 left several inches of rain in her floor boards. All covered on warranty but the dealership made her feel like crap each time.

You couldn't pay me to have a moonroof in anything, ever. I like the Limited monotone paint but that was out of my budget. I put a Gibson cat-back on when it was only three months old and it picks up a little power and mpg. I do wish I had got one with the bigger hitch but all I routinely tow is a jetski and the Trac doesn't even know it's back there.

Back