Opinions on this 05 EB V8, 3rd Gens in general? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Opinions on this 05 EB V8, 3rd Gens in general?

SUVNewbie

Reaction score
City, State
Motor City, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
Hello all,

I've been reading through a lot of threads here to get a head start on what to look for and expect. Tons of good information, and it looks like this is definitely the most active Explorer forum.

Onto the one we are currently looking at.
2005 Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

From the ad:
123k miles
Fully loaded
V8 4.6L engine
4 wheel drive
3rd row
AM/FM radio
Clean engine
No mechanical issues
Very clean interior
Moon roof
Tires are good
Leather seats
New windshield wipers
Brand new rear brakes installed July 2013

My thoughts:
It look pretty well taken care of, and doesn't seem to have the "tailgate crack" or the peeling paint on the hood a lot have been plagued with. I have seen a lot of 3rd Gens fro sale around this same mileage(~120k). Is there anything in general that starts to fail around this mileage? I've also read that the transmissions are a weak point on this model. Should I be expecting the transmission to fail before 150k, or has it probably been rebuilt by this point and is good to go (5R55S)? Also, what are some general things I should expect to look for, or to change after the purchase (Fuel filter, wheel bearings being the obvious ones)? I've heard these varying opinions on these transmissions. I've heard some say that they(5R55S/5R55W) don't like having the fluid flushed/replaced. Any other recommendations for a 3rd Gen around this mileage?

What about the rear ends? I'm mainly looking for reliability first, but would like a limited slip. Are the 3.73LS rear ends just as reliable as the 3.55 open diffs, or vice versa?
00606_a93q5XeQSS7_600x450.jpg

01616_dK9gShIVKBN_600x450.jpg

I have a 2002 XLS 4.0 that I bought brand new, at 110,000 I had to replace all 4 wheel bearings, outer tierod ends, upper control arms, e brake hardware and shoes, full tune up, rear quick struts, rear toe arms, and ball joints. My transmission is still going strong...

Back