Opinions on tires for Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Opinions on tires for Explorer

Not looking at anything crazy, this is just a family car/daily driver. The BFG Rugged Trails have lasted me 65K miles, and are still okay, but with winter coming I want to swap 'em out sooner than later. Here is what I have found (275/65/17):

BFG Rugged Trail - $600
Pirelli Scorpion - $600
Toyo Open Country - $610

There were some others, but these are the best prices from what I can tell. Any thoughts on this? It is mostly paved roads and some dirt road driving in Michigan.

Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd stick to the BFGs, they have served you well it sound like, and I always had great luck with them. That price sounds about right, I paid $400 for Longtrail TA's at Sam's Club but they were only P235/75R15.

Not looking at anything crazy, this is just a family car/daily driver. The BFG Rugged Trails have lasted me 65K miles, and are still okay, but with winter coming I want to swap 'em out sooner than later. Here is what I have found (275/65/17):

BFG Rugged Trail - $600
Pirelli Scorpion - $600
Toyo Open Country - $610

There were some others, but these are the best prices from what I can tell. Any thoughts on this? It is mostly paved roads and some dirt road driving in Michigan.

Thanks!!

i myself am in the same situation with my bfg's
why are you running 275 65 17 instead of 245 65 17?

i have been stuck on
goodyear wrangler silent armor
firestone destination at
pirelli scorpion atr

i got 70k ut of my bfg's but i think they lack in traction performance expecially the snow, and the ride is kinda hard.

anyone have any exp with the tires im stuck on? i cant make the decision

Pirelli Scorpion ATRs won a recent magazine test, including sand, road, mud etc driving. They were rated at about 9.5 out of 10 on almost everything!

Bought my tires back in feburary and i still love them When these wear out im buying the same tire.

i love my GY Silent Armors... great road manners and performs well on the trail and snow, but they have no business in deep mud.

4 Wheel Parts is having an October sale where you get 4 Pro Comp tires for the price of 3.

Toyo Open country H/T

I was going to start a thread, but will post here on my experience with Toyo Open Country HT. I have an '05 XLT Sport with 245/65R17 tires. I replaced my BFG Rugged Trails at 42000 miles and now have 25000 miles with the Open Countrys.

My experience is mixed. They are quieter and the tread is lasting longer than the BFGs. They are superb on the highway. So quiet and smooth I find myself driving faster than I intended. They are fantastic in the rain.

The problem is driving around town at slower speeds. They just don't seem to grip the road! They just do not inspire confidence in stop and go driving. On starting up on a wet/damp road, the tires spin - something that did not happen with the BFGs. I don't know if this means the sidewalls are too stiff or what.

No experience with snow: it hasn't snowed here since I bought the tires.

When these wear out, I'm going back to the Rugged Trails. The extra noise is more than compensated by their traction.

I manage a fleet of close to 50 vehicles of all sorts (mostly Ford trucks and vans) and run all sorts of different tires.

I like the Scorpions -- especially in wet/ice conditions. They are a great year-round all terrain sort of tire for street use.

I've also used some Cooper tires and like them a lot.

I'm ordering a set of Cooper ATR's for my own personal vehicle. They are less costly than other brands, and they are quality tires. (Cooper is behind Pro Comp!). The ATRs are more aggressive than long trails or Scorpions, but not as much as a true mud tire. Should be good on snow.

I've run a lot of Firestone tires also, and have yet to be impressed with most of them. Every tire I've ever blown out in my life has been a Firestone. Might just be coincidence, but that's my take. At work, I have a hard time getting more than 15K on a set of stock-type Firestones. I can double that with Coopers or Mastercraft (Cooper house brand).

Back