• Register Today It's free!

Ordering a Explorer??!

noXcuses12

Reaction score
City, State
Coastal, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Limited
I've only purchased new vehicles from dealer inventory. I see the 21's are trickling out, but not sure when one will arrive locally with the options that I want. I assume I could walk into my friendly neighborhood Ford dealer and ask to order one? Do you pay more when ordering vs. buying off the lot? Seems like you lose ability to negotiate?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No you don't pay more. If you do order, make sure the dealer locks in the price/rebates at the time of order incase they do not get better at time of delivery. If they do get better, you get those instead. Ford covers the first 3 months of financing from the dealer for vehicle that have been sitting since delivery so sometimes you will get a better deal on one that has been there because the dealer wants to unload it to stop paying interest. But besides that, it's the same cost to the dealer so essentially the same cost to you if you negotiate properly.

No you don't pay more. If you do order, make sure the dealer locks in the price/rebates at the time of order incase they do not get better at time of delivery. If they do get better, you get those instead. Ford covers the first 3 months of financing from the dealer for vehicle that have been sitting since delivery so sometimes you will get a better deal on one that has been there because the dealer wants to unload it to stop paying interest. But besides that, it's the same cost to the dealer so essentially the same cost to you if you negotiate properly.
In pure finance terms the car you order should be the same price, or even cheaper than a car off the lot. However, the sales team is looking for immediate gratification, so they would like to sell a car off the lot instead of waiting for your delivery to get the commission. Special orders for customers are also tagged in the computer system so they can’t be redirected to another dealer, and they should have production priority so they get delivered sooner than cars purchased for stock. Dealers also get incentives for volume and selling less desirable vehicles, and that incentive might end on a certain day, so they might want to sell a vehicle right now to get the incentive.

When they order a car for you, a few days later they will get a message asking them to confirm the build. You want to see this message because it confirms exactly what will be built. For example, if there is a running change in option configurations (what is included in a package, etc.) or colors, it will be listed in that message.

Bruce

In pure finance terms the car you order should be the same price, or even cheaper than a car off the lot. However, the sales team is looking for immediate gratification, so they would like to sell a car off the lot instead of waiting for your delivery to get the commission. Special orders for customers are also tagged in the computer system so they can’t be redirected to another dealer, and they should have production priority so they get delivered sooner than cars purchased for stock. Dealers also get incentives for volume and selling less desirable vehicles, and that incentive might end on a certain day, so they might want to sell a vehicle right now to get the incentive.

When they order a car for you, a few days later they will get a message asking them to confirm the build. You want to see this message because it confirms exactly what will be built. For example, if there is a running change in option configurations (what is included in a package, etc.) or colors, it will be listed in that message.

Bruce

That message is the DORA and yes you want a copy of the DORA. Your build will only be built faster if it is put in as a Retail order and not a dealer stock. Some dealers are not straight forward and put them in as Dealer Stock orders.

That message is the DORA and yes you want a copy of the DORA. Your build will only be built faster if it is put in as a Retail order and not a dealer stock. Some dealers are not straight forward and put them in as Dealer Stock orders.
I’d be really disappointed if the dealer took my deposit and then entered my vehicle in the computer as dealer stock instead of making it a retail order.

It’s even worse when dealers just find a stock order already in the computer and then tell you that’s your vehicle. I think this is more common with salesman who have worked for companies like Toyota, since they don’t have a true special order capability. Toyota has nationwide and regional restrictions on option combinations, and won’t deviate for a special customer order.

Bruce

I’d be really disappointed if the dealer took my deposit and then entered my vehicle in the computer as dealer stock instead of making it a retail order.

It’s even worse when dealers just find a stock order already in the computer and then tell you that’s your vehicle. I think this is more common with salesman who have worked for companies like Toyota, since they don’t have a true special order capability. Toyota has nationwide and regional restrictions on option combinations, and won’t deviate for a special customer order.

Bruce
All three Highlanders I had were ordered and were tracked from Japan. It's true that you can't pick and choose some combinations but that is true of most car companies and is likely to reduce assembly costs. I was able to get the packages/options that I wanted.

Peter

Back