• Register Today It's free!

Overdrive light blinking

Trackerforsport

Reaction score
City, State
Essington, pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ST 5" lift and 33s
My overdrive light starting blinking as I was driving at a slow rate of speed down the road does anybody know what it could be ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We had a 1995 Explorer that did the same thing for a day or so, then quit. About 18 months later I was putting a new transmission in it. I checked the fluid level, didn't smell burnt, wasn't black, truck shifted fine. Then after about 16 months my daughter called from school and said it was acting funny. Drove 2 hours to her college, checked everything again, the same deal as before. It slipped a little bit shifting to 3rd. Two months later I was back with a trailer loading it up. The od light never flashed again until I went to pick it up. Bought a rebuilt transmission, while we were picking it up, the guy that owned the shop asked if I wanted to open it up and see what happened to it. The planetary gear was broken into 3 pieces. Might be a good idea to get it serviced by someone you trust. Good luck.

It means your tranny needs serviced.

Its like a check engine light for your transmission. Like in the about post, it usually means that it will go out soon.

USArmy Active Duty. Nathan, 2002 Sport Trac 4x4. -TT, K&N intake, Poweraid throttle body spacer, Flowmaster 40 with turn down, 30k Kensun HID headlights and fog lights, high beam relay mod, Grille delete, LED grille lights, Recon light bar w/ reverse lights, tinted 3rd brake light, 5% tinted windows.

Yeah go get it checked and codes read might be something simple that can be done to save it.

Hello

My overdrive light starting blinking as I was driving at a slow rate of speed down the road does anybody know what it could be ?

Mine had 2nd and 3rd gear out of ratio when I scanned it. Usually the servos wear out on these. Make sure if the light comes on you can stop shut the truck off and restart it and it will temporarily shut off. It's not good to drive it when it's blinking cause I believe it also means the computer detected a problem and also turned your overdrive off. Which will put your transmission through more strain at high speeds. Good luck!

Thanks going to get it Checked out tomorrow will let you guys know what they say

Back