• Register Today It's free!

overheated tranny

ALINXILE

Reaction score
City, State
Laurel, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92xlt
I just bought a 3800 lb boat/motor/trailer/gear and when I started to tow my 92 made a pop sound under the floorboard. After about 10 miles fluid started leaking out. I noticed the smoke 1st as the fluid hit the converter. After stopping, I had fluid all over the bottom of tranny and was 1-1/2 quarts low. I left the boat, refilled the tranny and drove 740 miles home with no other problems. I have tranny cooler behind grill so I figure I have towing pack. Also, 31/10.50 brigs. Don't no the rear ratio. HELP PLEASE:fire: haasinms@bellsouth.net

I went to a junk yard and got an electric push fan from a geo metro for $12 bucks , and placed it right infront of the tranny cooler, works fine now. hope it helps.

Attachments

• mvc-005s.jpg
    mvc-005s.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 114

First find out what caused the loss of fluid and repair it.

Then I would do a complete change of ATF and replace with a synthetic fluid.

Good luck and keep us posted....

Check your axle code on the door panel sticker and see what rearend you have. My owners manual has the information for the rearends in it. I have the D4 which is the Ford Traction lock with at 3.73 ratio. Your manual will be able to tell you what rearend you have.

Once you have done this you will be able to make the calculation for what actual ratio you are running due to the 31 inch tires. It may be that the 3800 lb load is now outside of your capability.

Mine lists max tow weight as 5200lbs with the D4, automatic. If I changed my tires enough to drop my ratio to the equivalent of the next rearend down, my max tow would drop to 3000.

Good luck.

Back