Overheating 2001 Ford Explorer Sports Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Overheating 2001 Ford Explorer Sports Trac

craig65

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sports
Hello All,

I am a 48 year old novice at truck repairs. My 2001 Ford Explorer Sports Trac is overheating. A mechanic friend and myself replaced the thermostat and got all the air out of the line.

The resevoir was filled with gunk. We refilled the radiator and for a few days it was running fine. Then it began to overheat again and when I parked it and check the radiator, it was near empty.

Does anybody have any ideas of what I should look for or what can be causing this problem?

I would appreciate any advice, because I am almost to the point of taking it to a garage.

Thanks,
Craig

If the radiator is empty then you are losing coolant which is why the truck is over heating. Get a pressure tester from a local parts store (should be able to rent one for a few $). Fill the radiator up with water and then pressurize the system and look for a leak. Also check your oil to see if it is going into your engine in which case your head gasket(s) are leaking.

Back