• Register Today It's free!

Overheating problems

yosh18981898

Reaction score
City, State
Chana IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 sport 4x4
So I was drivng home last night and about 4 miles from home my ex decides to overheat. I shut it off and called my dad. My dad came out with some antifreeze so we let the truck cool down (this didn't take long at all, seeing as how it was -10 degrees!!!) and filled it full of antifreeze. (YES it was a 50-50 mixture!!) However this didn't solve the problem, after another mile it was almost to the red zone on the temp gauge. We ended up getting my moms E-150 and dragging/towing it home with my brand new tow chains. (I had just bought them after work yesterday, probably the most timely purchase of my life!!!) It was really bad because 3 different Chevy drivers stopped and asked if we needed help. Those dang Chevys- they always work when Fords are having problems but never work when Fords are running fine.

I'm pretty sure the extremely cold weather caused the thermostat to get stuck in the closed position. Does this sound right??

Anybody have any ideas?? please respond.

Change the thermostat.. It could have failed..

Changed the thermostat yesterday. I put a hundred miles on it since and it runs great. The needle doesn't get past the "n" in normal, and the heat works great!!!

Originally posted by yosh18981898
Changed the thermostat yesterday. I put a hundred miles on it since and it runs great. The needle doesn't get past the "n" in normal, and the heat works great!!!

I'm glad everything worked out for you.. Its preventive maintance to replace the t-stat every year. Its only a $6.00 part and it only takes about 15 minutes to replace.

Back