• Register Today It's free!

P0133 and P0153 Slow response

mrwhipper

Reaction score
City, State
Lancaster County PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT
I have a 1996 Explorer XLT 4.0 4x4 eand two days ago the cel cam on and the code was P0133 O2 sensor CKT slow response bank 1 sensor 1. So I cleared it and the cel cam on today and now it had two codes, te P0133 again and a P0153 which is the same error but it is bank 2. Is is idling a bit rough. DO you think both sensors are retiring or is there something else going on? I can only read codes with my scanner, I can not check the O2 sensor activity. Thank you for any feedback that you can give. Take care.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More than likely it is a dirty sensor or fuel delivery problem. Few things to do....
Seafoam
Clean IAC MAF and throttle body (Vid in the link in my signature)
Plugs and wires will help if they havnt been done in awhile.
You might have a sticky fuel injector so add a fuel injector cleaner or seafoam to the gas tank.

The odds that both sensors went out at the same time is very unlikely. Something else is the problem.

More than likely it is a dirty sensor or fuel delivery problem. Few things to do....
Seafoam
Clean IAC MAF and throttle body (Vid in the link in my signature)
Plugs and wires will help if they havnt been done in awhile.
You might have a sticky fuel injector so add a fuel injector cleaner or seafoam to the gas tank.

The odds that both sensors went out at the same time is very unlikely. Something else is the problem.

Please let me ask you this. You said about a fuel delivery problem. A few weeks ago it would not start. I quickly figured that the fuel pump was not running. While messing with the fuel pump relay it started to workand it started. I swapped relays with the ABS system and I have not had a problem since, but could have been the pump the whole time and now the pump is getting weak. Could this cause these codes? By the way, this thing has 170000 miles on it. Thanks.

Please let me ask you this. You said about a fuel delivery problem. A few weeks ago it would not start. I quickly figured that the fuel pump was not running. While messing with the fuel pump relay it started to workand it started. I swapped relays with the ABS system and I have not had a problem since, but could have been the pump the whole time and now the pump is getting weak. Could this cause these codes? By the way, this thing has 170000 miles on it. Thanks.

Your best bet would be to pressure test the fuel system at idle and bringing the rpms up a bit. It definitely sounds like the 2 are related. Still do the things I mentioned in the post above though.

Thank you for the advice. Earlier I contacted my mechanic and he is gong to check it out with his equipment to see what is gong on. I will keep you posted. Have a great day.

Thank you for the advice. Earlier I contacted my mechanic and he is gong to check it out with his equipment to see what is gong on. I will keep you posted. Have a great day.

No prob. Looking forward to it.

This is an update for anybody that may have been following this thread. The reason that I have not posted sooner is because I wanted to be pretty sure that the problem was resolved before I said anything. My Explorer received its TLC on the 27th. We have been driving everyday since. My tech checked fuel pressure, trim, vacuum and so on. All checked out OK. So, how unlikely it may have been I had 2 O2 sensors fail with in 4 days of each other. He switched both #1 O2 sensors and I have not had a problem since. Thanks for the input given. Take care.:thumbsup:

Hello all:

Trying to figure out two issues:

Thanks for the GREAT site. Just bought this Explorer last week and already made several repairs based on the information in this site.

I need help diagnosing the p0133 and p0153....sometimes it throws 133 and other times throws both....I erase codes with my scanner then give it another test. Within a few miles it ALWAYS throws p0133.

Do I need a catalytic converter? I doubt its a bad sensor....
V6, 2wd; 200,000 miles
no other codes......AND Catalyst monitor will not load as "ready"....Ever...I think the p0133 prevents it from loading up?????anyone????
thanks...Jammor in Atlanta

Back