• Register Today It's free!

P0500 code

manuelronk

Reaction score
City, State
guayaquil, ecuador
Year, Model & Trim Level
ford explorer 1998 automa
people, i have a p0500 code, it means VSS malfuntion, but my speedometer still works fine, WTF? it makes no sense,it supose When VSS fail speedometer dont work, i need help.

VSS feeds it's signal to the Antilock Brake Control Module. The Control Module outputs to the speedometer and the cruise control servo.

Does the cruise work properly?

VSS feeds it's signal to the Antilock Brake Control Module. The Control Module outputs to the speedometer and the cruise control servo.

Does the cruise work properly?

my explorer dont have cruise. but speedometer and odometer works fine

DTC P0500: CHECK VEHICLE SPEED PID
Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0500 indicates the powertrain control module (PCM) detected an error in the vehicle speed information received from the anti-lock brake system (ABS) control module, generic electronic module (GEM) or central timer module (CTM).

Possible causes:

Open or short in the vehicle speed circuit(s) (VSC) between the PCM and appropriate control module.
Damaged wheel speed sensors.
Damaged wheel speed sensor harness circuits.
Damage in module(s) conected to VSC.
Note: When diagnosing the VSC signal to the PCM refer to the chart below to determine which module sends the VSC signal to the PCM.

Vehicle Applications Module Application(s)
Taurus SHO ABS (w/ Anti-Lock Brake System)
2.5L Ranger 4WABS (w/ 4 wheel Anti-Lock Brake System)
3.0L Ranger GEM or CTM (w/ rear wheel only Anti-Lock Brake System)
4.0L Ranger
Explorer/
Mountaineer 4WABS (w/ 4 wheel Anti-Lock Brake System)

The above comes from a long test procedure in the Ford Workshop Manual. From other posts I've read in the past the VSS failure is a known problem. It's on the rear differential housing, top I think. I'd look for dirty/corroded connector or breaks in the wiring particularly where it gets to the truck frame.

If you confirm the connector and wiring are OK I'd think the sensor itself has failed or is failing. It's possible the 4WABS Control Module has failed but I think that's the least likely cause.

Back