Solved P0500 c1102 pulsing breaks under 5mph | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved P0500 c1102 pulsing breaks under 5mph

donalds

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer sohc
So my wife told me she had a break petal pulsing when coming to a stop intermittently
So I looked at forscan gem p0500
Speedometer works fine

Is the pulsing petal and the gem p0500 code related
This is a intermittent problem
I used forscan to look at the speed sensor s and they are working

Will the vss on the rear axle cause break pulsing

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Btw I think the abs light in the dash is burnt out

P0500 means the PCM has no idea you are moving
Yes it will cause funky ABS braking
Yes the VSS in the rear axle is what is PCM is talking to
Have you cleared the code and tried again?
If the speepo works and the VSS signal on the scanner is smooth and working then it may be an intermittent issue, good idea to clear the code and then watch the VSS on scanner and see when and why the code pops back up

"Basically this P0500 code means that the vehicle's speed as read by the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is not as expected. The VSS input is used by the vehicle's main computer called a PCM/ECM powertrain/engine control module along with other inputs for proper operation of the vehicle systems.

Typically, the VSS is an electromagnetic sensor that uses a rotating reluctor ring to complete an input circuit to the PCM. The VSS is mounted in the transmission housing at such a position as to allow the reluctor ring to pass by it; in close proximity. The reluctor ring is attached to the output shaft of the transmission so that it spins along with it. As the reluctor ring passes by the electromagnetic tip of the VSS, notches and grooves serve to complete and interrupt the circuit rapidly. These circuit manipulations are recognized by the PCM as transmission output speed or vehicle speed."

If the speepo works and the VSS signal on the scanner is smooth and working then it may be an intermittent issue, good idea to clear the code and then watch the VSS on scanner and see when and why the code pops back up

"Basically this P0500 code means that the vehicle's speed as read by the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is not as expected. The VSS input is used by the vehicle's main computer called a PCM/ECM powertrain/engine control module along with other inputs for proper operation of the vehicle systems.

Typically, the VSS is an electromagnetic sensor that uses a rotating reluctor ring to complete an input circuit to the PCM. The VSS is mounted in the transmission housing at such a position as to allow the reluctor ring to pass by it; in close proximity. The reluctor ring is attached to the output shaft of the transmission so that it spins along with it. As the reluctor ring passes by the electromagnetic tip of the VSS, notches and grooves serve to complete and interrupt the circuit rapidly. These circuit manipulations are recognized by the PCM as transmission output speed or vehicle speed."

Yes I reset it
Code did not come back rite away
I watched the front and back sensor s
They are in sync I am gonna watch them on a scope to see if one drops out be for the others

So I pulled the abs codes c1102 acceleration switch circuit failure

This is a 2Wd there is no acceleration switch

The abs self test passed I reset the abs module
It set the code and the light came on almost right away as soon as we started driving
Speedometer still working

I put a new bulb in the dash
I also monitored all 3 abs sensors live data in the abs module all working fine

P0500 hasn't come back yet

Ok so I went to the junckyard and got some sensors off a couple of 4x4 s
Here is a pic of the frame with the DELETE plug in the wire connector
And the 2 g switches
I hope I can install the switch it will make the code go away
Wish me luck

20180719_155201.jpg

20180719_154717.jpg

Fixed works great
may not be using the sensor but it's there when
Abs self test runs when I turn the key
I also monitored the abs module pid s
not that many
all the wheel sensors
And continuous codes
Is all I was looking at
but all was good
abs light out
Hope this helps someone

Btw I did replace the rear axle speed sensor did not fix the problem

so installing the acceleration switch fixed your code?
Why was there no G switch previously?
I'm confused

First you had the jumper and now you need the switch? why? 4x4 conversion? orthe resetting of the abs module with the scanner caused it to?? jumper went bad?
Sorry to bump an old thread but researching c1102 code now for another member

is just a cover when the sensor is not used not a jumper of any kind

My truck is a 2Wd I'm pretty sure my abs module thinks it's 4Wd I kept getting the code
Found the unused connector and figure f it I'll try it and works tested and Don appeared I used forscan to look at all the pids for the abs module

I did not replace the abs module it's original one
The ford guy says it's part of the program in the abs module
And that someone at some point did a software update or tire size adjustment wrong
Also the abs just wants to see the module in its self test
It can be fixed if you have a time machine and go back to about 2003 or so and get the only Ford programming tool or just add the module so the abs computer is happy on its self test

Mine do work
Dirt road grass test and forscan

Exploring frustration, creativity with Diagnostic Trouble Code C1102 | Search Autoparts

There is was a old video of someone showing how to reprogram it with the ford tool ...funny he had to look for it then blew like a 1/4 inch of dust off it ... they tried a bunch of different scan tools
All he did was plug it in and he selected 4Wd and tire size and fixed it instantly

Here is a article all about it the tool and how to fix it with the tool hope it helped

As for my old p0500 speed sensor code it was a gem code I re soldered a couple joints and all is well

Okay interesting! That's one of the things I thought. So your truck is RWD, never had a G switch.
You update the programming inside your ABS module and truck freaks out...
Now wants to see G switch during self test, truck thinks its a 4x4 now....(wishful thinking)
So you being one of the smarter humans on here, instead of messing with the programming simply add 4x4 g switch and truck is happy
brilliant!

This maybe VERY heplful to others who go down this C1102 road..........

Thanks alot for the response!
(all clear signal is given)

Okay interesting! That's one of the things I thought. So your truck is RWD, never had a G switch.
You update the programming inside your ABS module and truck freaks out...
Now wants to see G switch during self test, truck thinks its a 4x4 now....(wishful thinking)
So you being one of the smarter humans on here, instead of messing with the programming simply add 4x4 g switch and truck is happy
brilliant!

This maybe VERY heplful to others who go down this C1102 road..........

Thanks alot for the response!
(all clear signal is given)
You nailed it all the g switch was $5 at the jy

So my wife told me she had a break petal pulsing when coming to a stop intermittently
So I looked at forscan gem p0500
Speedometer works fine

Is the pulsing petal and the gem p0500 code related
This is a intermittent problem
I used forscan to look at the speed sensor s and they are working

Will the vss on the rear axle cause break pulsing
@BMBMAN
Why the disagree rating ??

Yes I reset it
Code did not come back rite away
I watched the front and back sensor s
They are in sync I am gonna watch them on a scope to see if one drops out be for the others
I just replaced the sensor on the rear diff and I'm still getting pulsing brake pedal and p0500 its a 2wd too

I just replaced the sensor on the rear diff and I'm still getting pulsing brake pedal and p0500 its a 2wd too
I have had this issue intermittently. But mine was dirty front abs sensor. I pulled em cleaned where they went in out and reset em havnt had the pulsing since. Used to kick my abs light on but have not seen it in a while.

I have had this issue intermittently. But mine was dirty front abs sensor. I pulled em cleaned where they went in out and reset em havnt had the pulsing since. Used to kick my abs light on but have not seen it in a while.
I've done that and still not fixed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've done that and still not fixed
Can have a shop hook up scanner that reads the sensors make sure they are all functioning. There is something not reading your speed correctly in your system. Causing the abs to think your locked up when you are still rolling. It will pulse the brakes. I lived with this issue on and off for a few years and had a few bad situations but no accidents because of it. My last time trying to fix it, after a mechanic replacing a sensor and saying it was good, I cleaned the connectors for the sensors up in the fender too. With electric cleaner. Anything to help them function. And have not had it happen in about 8 months.

Back