p1131 scanner data what does it mean | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

p1131 scanner data what does it mean

joebluefish

Reaction score
City, State
Plymouth mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ltd
I have a 2001 explorer with a p1131 code here is what the scanner says can any one tell me what it means and what I should do. I need to get it inspected

p1131 manufacturer control fuel air metering

freeze frame data -------------- in the order that the scanner gave it to me
engine rpm 1588
load value 47.0 %
coolant temp 183 deg f
short term fuel trim1 1.5%
long term fuel trim1 .8%
short term fuel trim2 1.5%
long term fuel trim2 .8%
short term fuel trim3 -8.0%
long term fuel trim3 -98.7%
long term fuel trim4 -89.7%
short term fuel trim4 -3.4%
vehicle speed 22mph
fuel system1 clsd1
fuel system 2 n/a

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is most likely the O2 sensor on bank one closest to the engine. That's the passenger side. You might look to see if the wire has been damaged.

Bank 1 not switching

P1131 Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 1

Bank 1 is the passenger side since cylinder #1 is on the passenger side. The PCM cycles the air/fuel mixture between rich and lean. The PCM was unable to achieve the desired condition using established limits.

Your short and long term fuel trims 1 and 2 look normal. I assume they are for bank 1 and 2 respectively. Check your scanner manual for the meaning of the short and long fuel trims 3 and 4. They may be bogus. Some scanners incorrectly report fuel trims.

Does the P1131 code reappear after clearing? It may have been a one time event. Can you monitor the O2 sensor voltage with your scanner?

yes it reappears after clearing and driving - i dont know if scanner an monitor sensors i will check. at least I now know what side to look at. thanks and i will keep updating on progress

P1131 = Insufficient Switching O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1 Sensor/Lean
Means that the O2 sensor Number 1 (pre-cat), on Bank 1, is not working anymore.

Have new sensor . can't unplug sensor (can't reach .) took out center console cant reach from there either.

cut wire pulled up top to unplugged. screwed in new sensor. From underneath 2 ft screw driver to hold sensor socket while with left hand middle finger push in sensor . there has to be an easier way to do this passenger side oxygen sensor.

Back