• Register Today It's free!

P1309 on 5.0 swapped Sport Trac

Ngrimm

Reaction score
City, State
Medford, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
I recently bought a 2001 Sport Trac that had the 4.0 replaced with a 5.0 v8 by the PO. The truck runs great but I keep getting the 1309 code which of course means the misfire detection is disabled due to a problem with the cam sensor signal. The cam sensor is working in that I don't get an actual cam sensor failure code. When I look at the signal with Forscan it shows pulses but then there are gaps like it drops out. I looked at the cam signal going to the ecu connector with my oscilloscope and itshows a consistent the sine wave but there is a little ripple riding on top of it. I went ahead and replaced the sensor and synchronizer and aligned it at tdc on the compression stroke with the plastic alignment tool that came with it. It made no difference. Not sure what the swap consisted of wiring wise so maybe it is related. I would mind getting the CEL but I need to pass smog in order to get it licensed. Thank you for any help you can provide. Norm

I had some cam sensor issues. I can't remember the specifics but there is a difference in the 98 and the 99-01 sensor and how the computer works with them. I have had 3 different computers in mine since the swap. Mine was running the best it had before I burnt the piston.

I had some cam sensor issues. I can't remember the specifics but there is a difference in the 98 and the 99-01 sensor and how the computer works with them. I have had 3 different computers in mine since the swap. Mine was running the best it had before I burnt the piston.

Thank you for the reply. After talking to the PO I found out that the grove that is on the harmonic balancer is not the timing mark. I had to go thru the spark plug hole to get it close and then I was able to find what used to be timing marks on the balancer. Since it wasn't at tdc previously, the flag was off probably 150 degrees. I think that should fix it. It is so simple once you know. :)

Back