P1507: anyone get this code before? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

P1507: anyone get this code before?

98FordLove

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer XLT 4.0L OHV
Truck barely starts and runs very rough (idle 400rpm) every month or two just randomly. Got a new coil pack put in (due to a vacuum leak) a year ago and it helped it but didn't stop the issue. This could happen once in 5 months or twice in two months, it's very random. But it doesn't happen often which is good but I'd rather not have this happen at all.

Today I drove it to Walmart, started and ran fine. Came back 10mins later and it barely started (had to have the foot on the gas to help it). This is what I mean by it happening randomly.

Today was also the first time I got the check engine light coming on.

20220516_124609.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

iac imo, sometimes they get stuck closed or nearly closed allowing barely enough air to keep it running... or at least i think... where was that IAC cutaway, i forgot about it...

Time for a new iac
I suggest oem

Classic IAC not doing its job.

The throttle body has a mechanical stop that is normally set to around 500-550ish rpm, and the IAC kicks it up above that.

I’d try a good cleaning, clean the connectors too. If that doesn’t work, time for a new one.

Okay thank guys! So the IAC has to be replaced very likely chance. I can't seem to get OEM for it, is it a big deal to get OEM? Is it bad to drive the truck when it runs and idles rough? I managed to clear the code just now and then took it on the highway for 20mins after and as soon as I got off the highway, it ran back to normal again. Started it up a few times and started like normal.

If the IAC was bad, wouldn't I be getting rough idle and starts all the time until the IAC was changed?

rockauto has MC i thought? or not, i forgot 🤣 imo, OE is best, but not like its imperative imo. its not great for it, but i *think* it hould be ok as long as you get the part soon to replace. and iit doesnt have to be consistent, could just be stuck sometimes, but most ofthe times its fine, kind of like shutting a door that binds, most of the time you can shut it, but once in a while you dont push hard enough... jmo... or to save a few bucks one could try cleaning it first beforegetting a new one, but imo just get a new one

rockauto has MC i thought? or not, i forgot 🤣 imo, OE is best, but not like its imperative imo. its not great for it, but i *think* it hould be ok as long as you get the part soon to replace. and iit doesnt have to be consistent, could just be stuck sometimes, but most ofthe times its fine, kind of like shutting a door that binds, most of the time you can shut it, but once in a while you dont push hard enough... jmo... or to save a few bucks one could try cleaning it first beforegetting a new one, but imo just get a new one
Thanks. Can't believe this part is $84cdn and $110 and two of my local parts stores. Don't want to be throwing money at parts if it's not that. I'm just confused why this doesn't always happen if it's the iacv and it goes away and doesn't happen again until several weeks or months later?

Yes it is imo

Here's your part numbers

Thanks. Can you explain why you suggest to use OEM only? Do this part go bad often?
I wonder how hard it is to replace this part. If. It a lot of labour I may just order your OEM and make a second trip to my mech for him to install it.

imo it aint hard, IAC is on top of the intake plenum, few bolts and connector and youre done!! theres not much to it imo

Thanks. Can't believe this part is $84cdn and $110 and two of my local parts stores. Don't want to be throwing money at parts if it's not that. I'm just confused why this doesn't always happen if it's the iacv and it goes away and doesn't happen again until several weeks or months later?
check rockauto, usually a much better price. or if its oe tousleyfordparts

Thanks. Can you explain why you suggest to use OEM only? Do this part go bad often?
I wonder how hard it is to replace this part. If. It a lot of labour I may just order your OEM and make a second trip to my mech for him to install it.
The oem parts are just better no other way yo put it
There are very few other brands that are ok imo

Oem is the best choose
Try the junkyard

JY is a good source. Bring one home and clean it and it’ll likely work great.

My IAC is original at 330k…they usually last a long time

The oem parts are just better no other way yo put it
There are very few other brands that are ok imo

Oem is the best choose
Try the junkyard
Maybe OEM for this specific truck?. I believe in OEM too for many parts but feel some don't need to be. But since this is an old truck maybe it's another story.

imo it aint hard, IAC is on top of the intake plenum, few bolts and connector and youre done!! theres not much to it imo
Thanks good to know this.

check rockauto, usually a much better price. or if its oe tousleyfordparts
Thanks. Apparently a Ford parts store In a small town an hour from me (far enough that I'd have it shipped with the cost of gas) has it for $77cdn. Likely can't beat that. Surprised how pricey these things are.

JY is a good source. Bring one home and clean it and it’ll likely work great.

My IAC is original at 330k…they usually last a long time
Wow 330k and still stock. But what I'm confused about is, if the iacv was Infact bad in mine wouldn't it cause bad idling and weak starts all the time? I just find it funny how I can go several months before the symptoms show up again or I just take it on the highway and it goes back to normal.

I mean if you want to buy the cheap one You can
Its not a deal breaker just not as nice

Many electrical parts don’t just fail completely—it starts as an intermittent problem like this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try Amazon! I find tons of oem parts cheaper than at the autoparts store
Try Amazon! I find tons of oem parts cheaper than at the autoparts store

Back