P2196 on 2006 Ford Explorer V6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

jllorenz

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer XLT V6
I have a 2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L V6 - with around 170,000 miles on it. It had been leaking oil from old valve cover gaskets, so I replaced them this past Sunday. After getting everything off, cleaned, and new parts back on, I started running into new issues. First, one of the fuel injector o-rings had become damaged. When I started the car, it spewed gas everywhere inside. This was quickly replaced and put back on.

We ran the car again, and it started having more issues: trouble starting with a clank sound, thick white smoke from the exhaust pipe, rough idling, misfiring and extremely sluggish acceleration, strong gas smell, poor fuel economy and a new check engine code: P2196 (02 sensor says it's running rich).

We tried to check if there were any vacuum leaks with spraying carb cleaner around the hoses, and didn't notice any changes in the idle. The car isn't throwing any other error codes either. I'm inclined to believe a sensor didn't just randomly fail at the same time we replaced the valve cover gaskets, and that it's something we touched or did. Right now, I'm leaning at one of the fuel injectors was damaged in some sort of way, but just curious to see if there's anything else I should be looking.

Back