Painting Bumpers... What type of paint to use??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painting Bumpers... What type of paint to use???

guitarguru

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Sport 4x4
Hey guys,
I was thinking about painting my bumpers on my 93 ex sport. I was wondering if anyone knew what type of paint I should use? Thanks much!:feedback:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most parts stores carry a variety of paints specifically for bumpers, unless you're talking about painting over a chromed piece. That's another ballgame.

got terrific results with the krylon fusion

Thanks for the replies! Where did you get the krylon fusion from? Also, I'd like to add I am only painting the metal part of the bumpers. The plastic trim that wraps around them is fine. Thanks again! :)

Painting chrome and expecting adhesion is asking a lot for just rattle can paints.

I know of 2 choices, (there maybe more that I don't know about).

Sandblasting & powder coating.

Using a DTM (direct to metal) latex bonding primer, then painting a topcoat, preferably one that is not too volatile either, such as lacquers.

I am not painting chrome. Thanks anyway though.

The absolute best stuff I have found for the "Black" two tone (which is actually a deep dark gray according to paint codes) on the bumpers and lower body on the Sport is the Satin Black $2.97-a-can knockoff Rustoleum spray paint at walmart. It goes on deep black and glossy, but eventually dries to a perfect satin finish, and with time and sun exposure eventually fades slightly to match the factory paint as well as can probably be expected for the price.

If you do a good job of cleaning the surface, including wiping it down with mineral spirits/acetone/alcohol prior to painting, and do it in clear, dry weather, the stuff sticks like crazy, and only chips from seriously sharp stones and stuff. A few coats is necessary to get sufficient rust protection, but that's what you'd need to do anyway to get a factory look. It works fine with no primer or clear coat needed, but I'd say a clear coat for the bumpers would make them look a little better, and probably closer to the sheen of the paint on the body panels.

If you do the job right by taking the bumper off and removing the plastic air dam and trim, then prep and paint, it will look as good as new when reinstalled.

You can probably do a nice job with a surface primer, color coat, and clear coat with the new line of Rustoleum paints, but I don't know that it's any better for the price ($5-7/can x 3), unless you wanted a different color or something.

Some Advance Auto Parts stores are clearing out their 11oz Dupli-color spray paint cans for $3.50 (which is being replaced by smaller 6oz cans at a high price), so you can sometimes find close color matches to the factory paint if you wanted to paint the bumpers to match the body, like a Limited.

Powder coating is an option, of course, and would be a slick move, but definitely expensive.

If your NOT painting the plastic trim, and your NOT painting the Chrome on a 93 Explorer Bumper, WHAT are you painting then?

The valence is the only other part of the bumper (front) that I can think of.

he has a sport it should be the same color as the car.

i dont know if he's tryin to repaint it the same color or painting it black.

If it's just painted steel, then it's all about proper prep. Sand all the old paint thoroughly. You don't have to go to bare metal, but be sure to get any loose/flaking paint off, and scuff the rest real good.

You can also try some "Bulldog" brand adhesion promoter, before the primer, and between the primer and color coats. It seems to help quite a bit. Also, if you using spray cans, be sure to keep the paint wet enough as you paint. Dry spots/spatter/orange peel doesn't adhere well. Also, recoat time is important. You want to put the next coat on (whatever it may be primer,adhesion promoter,color), before the previous one has begun to dry. Otherwise you have to wait a full 24 hours between coats, and even then, it won't stick as well. Just read and follow the directions on the cans. In most cases, you have about 5-10 min between coats to get the new one on, without having to wait for it to dry completely.

Also, cleanliness is very important.Dust and finger prints don't allow the paint to stick. Be sure to wipe the area with a lint-free cloth, and paint prep after any sanding, and just before spraying

Hey guys,
I do have a sport but my bumpers are not the same color of the truck. They are black or dark gray. Its a 93. don't know if that makes any difference. Thanks again.

I will go out and take a picture of the bumpers and post it on this thread and then post a picture when they are finished which will be within the next week.

All 91-94 Sports had black bumpers and trim to match. No chrome.

I just replaced all of my vinyl bumper parts with new valance and front trim which was fairly inexpensive. The only problem is that the front trim mounting system was different than the original and it is now not flush to the chrome like it should be.

Has anyone found this piece of NOS trim with the original rectangular snap mounts rather than the cheap post and clutch mounts? I would like to redo this.

got terrific results with the krylon fusion

I second this. Krylon Fusion for Plastic. Sprays on nice.
I sprayed my side mirrors and Rear hatch pillars. you know, the rear corners that turn a nasty gray.

Forget the Rustoleum for plastic.... not good.

I thought I bought it at Homedepot 5 years ago but they do not sell it anymore. Maybe Krylons website can point you to a 'dealer near you'.

Back