• Register Today It's free!

Parking brake light

Danimal86

Reaction score
City, State
sac town
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Over the last week or so, i have noticed that the parking brake light comes on now when i am braking, it first started when i would brake hard, now it happens when i normally brake...my parking brake isn't on, and i tried to pull the release when the light was on and it didn't help.

Over the last week or so, i have noticed that the parking break light comes on now when i am breaking, it first started when i would break hard, now it happens when i normally break...my parking break isn't on, and i tried to pull the release when the light was on and it didn't help.

The red brake warning light only comes on if the parking/emergency brake is set, or if you are low on brake fluid. Your description indicates perfectly how the system behaves when low on fluid. When you accelerate or brake quickly it causes the fluid in the master cylinder brake fluid reservoir to run to front (braking hard) or rear (hard acceleration). If you're low on fluid this causes the brake fluid sensor to get no longer contact the fluid and turns the light on.

thanks for the info, I'll check the fluid when i get off work...

Back