Parking brake won't lock down - Advice needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Parking brake won't lock down - Advice needed

Reaction score
City, State
Nottsure, Wair
Year, Model & Trim Level
NONE - THANK GOD!
Parking brake won't lock down / binds - Advice needed

Hi all,

2000 Ex 4x4. 83k The parking brake seems to not 'lock' down about 3/4 of the time when depressed with my foot. It also doesn't seem to rebound up with a 'pop' like most vehicles when released like most cars with this type of setup.

I was checking out the Haynes for the problem, but it isn't really clear where the mechanism is that would keep it held down, and additionally where the binding might be that prevents it from coming back up like it should.

I have all the necessary lubes in my arsenal , but the Haynes is sort of failing me on this one.

thanks
Marc

ok.. problem fixed. Got under the dash on my back, and a flashlight. Despite the truck being rust free everywhere, that ratchet bracket and pivoting joints were covered in orange rust. Sprayed the joints down really well and let it sit a few minutes. Held the release out and pumped the pedal about 20 times and it slowly got easier to move. Now when the pedal pushes down the mechanism latches and when released it snaps back up.

Cool.

Just a note on what I found to fix this problems if anyone else gets it. (can't imagine I'm the only one, and with the truck being rather new), but anyway, it's now in the post history for search!

Back