Parts in bottom of auto trans oil pan | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Parts in bottom of auto trans oil pan

cclay6482

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
I recently purchased a semi-rough 1995 explorer, 4wd, OHV 6 cylinder, 4R55E transmission. The O/D light was flashing when I bought it, but that was resolved by powering down the truck for 10 minutes and resetting the computer. It also doesn't like to shift from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, etc, unless you back off the gas pedal somewhat. Otherwise it will stay in gear indefinitely. It shifts back down just fine. It also seems to work just fine overall, no slipping, noises, or anything unusual, except for the shifting issue previously mentioned.

Today I dropped the oil pan to replace the gasket and oil, to see if that might fix it. The parts shown in the attached link were laying in the bottom of the transmission oil pan. Any idea what they are? I looked at an exploded diagram and didn't see anything like them. Could this be causing the shifting issue?

Thanks for you help.

http://s652.photobucket.com/user/cclay6482/media/20140413_160604.jpg.html

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let me help you here with the picture:

20140413_160604.jpg

Thanks for the picture help and info. I did end up seeing like parts still in the transmission. Since the O/D light is flashing, and it appears to have all three forward gears and reverse, I surmise it's the overdrive band that went south. Guess it's time to look for a salvage yard transmission.

Thanks for the help.

Part on the right looks like a door hinge. How'd that get in there???

That's the part which was previously connected to the band before it broke off. It's not a door hinge.

Hmm, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Back