Parts people have broken on the trial? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Parts people have broken on the trial?

Positive Vibes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Santa Cruz, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Not sure if this question has been posted already. I'm trying to figure out what spare parts to carry with me on the trail. I don't want to carry a ton of spares with me and I'm the type to be overly prepared. The less weight we have in the vehicles the better. I've never broken anything besides a manual hub or had major axle wrap. So who has broke what from which year and what spare parts do you carry? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I carry a hub and an extra shaft for the passenger side TTB. I have never needed them. The only things I have broke are I chunked my Spider Gears in my rear end, but didn't notice until I tore it apart for new gears and I also broke my Duff Tranny Cross member when I hit it on a rock. Good idea for a thread. I will check back...

I carry a set of hubs, and want to get a spare rear driveshaft.

These are a must. :D

Attachments

• jan29095.jpg
    jan29095.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 603

Well if I was you, I'd carry a few spare brake lines.:D

Transfer case crossmember that took out a front driveshaft with it.

Doh! AspenX, be nice now!!!

I know, in fact I was out last weekend and broke it again. I really need to get my ebrake hooked up. I'm not sure why all the sudden its binding against the shock.

Shhhhh: Dont let carma know, I have been very lucky and to date I have only un seated a coil on the trail. :)

Of course I did spend a week in Moab with 3wd and a leaking transmission seal :) Oh and I ran over my sunglasses, does that count?

Dont get me wrong I have done some damage to the truck, mostly just needing maintenece when returning home, its not for lack of trying! I believe it is because I built my BII to take it, "overbuilt" if you will, at least for the drivetrain and I have only been running a locker and 33's for a year now, so that helps. :) I attribute my trucks reliability to me knowing its limitations and being a ana* mother ###*#$ when it comes to maintenence

Here are the spares I carry on longer trips:

starter (automatic)
spindle, bearings, spindle nuts
D35 TTB inner and outer axle shaft assembly
Spare hub(s)
Full size inflated spare tire
lug nuts
transsmission cooler lines
spare 5 prong relay (fits ford dist box and ARB relay)
vacuum hose
Front axle U joint
front driveshaft u joint
rear driveshaft u joint

gloves
duct tape
zip ties
electrical wire
bailing wire
come-a-long
fully charged jumper box
on boar air

ATF
Coolant/water
oil
gear oil
bearing grease

Not to mantion the tools, tie straps, gloves, jack, first aid kit, etc...

THINGS I SHOULD HAVE AND NEED TO GET:
Hi lift jack
tire plug kit
flares
shovel

Most of this junk believe it or not fits into a medium sized rubbermaid with a locking lid. I have started to carry my tools in a bag, to compact them because I got sick of the noisy tool box. So far being prepared has helped a few trucks get off the trail......

Pos Vibes, here's a Plan B for you. Carry nothing, but only wheel with 410Fortune. :D

LOL! Sounds like a good plan! What you say 410Fortune?

Why not! I never use my own spares! I am thinking of bringing a little booth I can set up in 10 min and sell parts :) I will bring a whole box of assorted taillights to Thaven next time :)

I carry a match and gasoline so if break it bad enough I'm gonna torch it and turn it into the insurance. Do you think they'd let me keep my full coverage insurance if they seen it now?

9352fx53.jpg

I guess i need to add a Driveshaft. I busted mine last weekend!!!

A spare transfer case maybe? I tore the fork up inside of my automatic tcase the first trip i made after doing the 2x4 to 4x4 swap :rolleyes:. Oops.

Well after doing this to one of my CV's I keep spares
101rayscvinnards.jpg

I also keep upper and lower balljoints, upper and lower control arms, and Hub assemblies. I had some U-joints, but can;t seem to find them anywhere. Guess I need to buy some more.

Whats wrong with that CV? Just stick it back together and JBweld it :hammer: :thumbsup:

I sheared off my bumper bolts on the front last time I went out.
I dropped the nose off a 4' rock wall I was unable to climb (large hole at the base of it, couldnt get over it) and I layed the front frmae horns right on the rock.
My Duff bumper turned up into the body a little bit and sheared off 3 of the 4 bolts that hold the bumper to frame.

Later when I got home and took it apart, no damage to frame or bumper. Damange to body was simple to fix with my hands. New hardware installed and all is well.
Tough bumper and truck for sure.

Of course on the same trip my trans blew 4 miles from home :)
New trans going in this weekend...

Other then that I have not suffered any carnage on the trails. I attribute this to me being very **** about preventive maintenence.
:)
And its not for lack of trying!! hahahaha

Jaime,
See? You should have kept this tranny :p

I guess I should add a Mile Marker Hub to that list since I trashed on last weekend.

Its not the tranny i had problems with! It was clutch slave cylinders.
You see I had a 4.0L from one truck and a 5 speed from another.
You must match the master cylidner and the slave cylinder and the hydro line to the trans otherwise it will either not open the clutch fully or it will open too far.

Also there is nothing fun about towing a #3500 boat with a 5 speed lifted BII in stop and go traffic. :)
Its okay the A4LD can take the abuse, at least the new one I got last night CAN!

Otherwise it will be a c4 for me!!

That 5 speed you got was the result of me riding the tranny shops ass after they gave me two prior to that one that did not work. (lost 1st gear in one, lost the 2nd gear synchro in the next) that one they finally built right, I suspect the other two were actually earlier mazdas from 2.9L equipped trucks. THey are not adequate behind a 4.0L.

Ha besides wheres the fun in that? I wouldnt be able to swap transmisisons in 4 hours by myself with hand tools if I didnt go through all this! I also wouldnt have such a thurough understanding of clutch types, materials, electronics, automatics, torque converters, computers, hydraulics, and all that other fun stuff!!!
hahahaha oh man...I can justify anything for my truck! My baby! hahaha

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you should start looking for a C4! I should add 2 a4ld's to my list too! I like towing with the manual too. More work, but I know it isn't going to heat up and poop on me.

Don't qupte me though- I ended up eating my words on the built a4ld so maybe my manual will poop and I will feel the same too!

I bought a new Slave, Master, and hose for a 93 X. The pedal seems hard to push down. Hope everything is right. I actually started with just the slave and master but the hose I got wouldn't fit.

Back