well guys, i failed

expo5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Red Wing, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
i couldn't get the front frame on the ground, although half my exhaust is and i haven't really lowered the rear yet.

im not sure i want to lower the rear more now though- it seems to have a "balanced" stance at the height it is at.

Attachments

• IMG_0896.JPG
    IMG_0896.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 919
  • IMG_0898.JPG
    IMG_0898.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 932
  • IMG_0905.JPG
    IMG_0905.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 940

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a couple more- anybody know the "stock" measurements to the fenders?

Attachments

• IMG_0900.JPG
    IMG_0900.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 920
  • IMG_0901.JPG
    IMG_0901.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 889
  • IMG_0904.JPG
    IMG_0904.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 935

i'm sure it will look a lot lower with a bumper on there.

i want to know the exact measurements- so i can say how much drop i have etc. i'm sure someone knows the range the stock xlt's came in height wise

front and rear? i thought they were substantially different stock.

thanks for the kind words guys!

thats front..rear sits "about" the same..alittle lower over time due to sagging.

but my dads '97 stock is 33" front and 32" rear..w/nothing touched.

your pretty dang low..haha.....your 12" lower then me..but i'm lifted.

yeah, i'm lower up front now by 1" or whatever, but that looks "flat" to me in the wide angle picture. i dunno.

that has to be one of the most modded explorers on this site, keep up the great work!

my front is 33 inches and my rear is 32 inches

no offense to the other "highly modded" ones (some of them are definitely much nicer all around) but i highly doubt anyone else has modified so many aspects of one quite as much. i look at that mostly as a curse though- i would have been much better off beginning with a straight forward plan. my truck has more "mods" than many of the ones in the major magazines, but none (at least not yet) of the overall appeal. I will not go this route again. for example- the sport trac in truckin' this month... completely stock compared to mine- but its in truckin and mine was in show coverage at Gauge magazine and won Autovations locally and that was when it was put together... see what i'm saying? basically, the extent of my modifications are at the root of my problems because if i'd done half of it right the first time it would have been more than enough and i don't know if i can ever get it ALL done right.

you sir need uniball uppers.

Lookin good

i agree about the uppers-

anybody have ideas about what to use in there? what will bolt on? what won't bolt on but will be worth the effort?

expo5.0 said:
i agree about the uppers-

anybody have ideas about what to use in there? what will bolt on? what won't bolt on but will be worth the effort?

Uniballs are basically a big balljoint in themselfs. They double the amount of travel in some cases over stock. I have some set up exactly like stock but tubular and uni's at the end. I still need to find bushings for them. But they might be for sale soon.

ive always wondered, how the hell do you work on the under carriage on that thing. (or any seriously lowered vehical) Drive it over a pit?

Any lower and the upper b-jonts would say f-- it.
man that is low, at least you knoe the range of motion. Are you going to bag it now?

You need to relocate your upper control arm mounts higher. That will fix your balljoint angle and camber issues.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its already bagged, it goes back up to stock height real quick!

i wonder if all the geometry is so simple that i could just relocate them a bit higher- regardless i'm not actually driving it around much lower than stock anyways.

Back