• Register Today It's free!

Passenger Rear Window

neo1973

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 EX
The rear window would go down but not up.

I am stumped. I have taken the door apart so that there is basically just the window and the vertical rail. Here is what I have found out:

I tested the switch first. I even went as far as trying the switch on the driver rear window, and it worked. I used the driver rear switch on the passenger rear, and it didn't work. So I figured motor.

I drill the hole and go to take the motor out. No go, so I drill the rivets out for the regulator and out that comes as well. Regulator seems in good working order, maybe its the motor or bushings.

I take the motor apart; it has no bushings. There is just a big gear connected to a worm drive coming from the motor.

I use an 18v drill battery to test the motor. It goes, backwards and forwards.

I start testing voltage around the connections. I put probes in the socket that connects the switch to the pigtail from the motor. Press the switch and I get voltage for down, but no voltage for up (actually, it gets a couple of tenths, but not really anything).

How can it get one signal and not get the other, especially if the switch is working?

your switch reverses the voltage to the motor,, there may be a relay in explorers,, should be as door window motor is moore amps than m switcj shhould draw,, so track yur circuit, or use sledge hammer approach make the wiring from switch work the window with jumpers if it doesnt then u know problem is from that position to window,, as u say it works on drivers side so look for wiring problem

Back