Passenger side manifold replacement, rear ac lines in the way | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Passenger side manifold replacement, rear ac lines in the way

UnorthodoxCreat

Reaction score
City, State
outside Hanover, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT V6, 06 Limited V8
I need to replace the passenger side exhaust manifold on my 2006 V8 Limited. The manifold is loose, no broken studs but there are what appears to be rear AC lines in the way. I can't get the old manifold out. Is there a way to do that without opening the lines and moving them? I of course would prefer to avoid an AC recharge.
20210528_194400.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To update my own post, you need to take off the plastic clip that holds the ac lines to the inner fender. Totally remove that and you'll be able to move the ac lines around enough to get the manifold out.
20210528_200024.jpg
20210528_200136.jpg

Glad you got it worked out. I've done that job twice on my 2007 with rear heat and air and it isn't easy. It helps to remove the starter - that gives you more wiggle room. And the studs have to be out to again - give you more wiggle room. It has to be rotated around and worked out but it can be done without removing the bracket. Thanks for the tip though - if I have to do it again that will be part of the plan.

Glad you got it worked out. I've done that job twice on my 2007 with rear heat and air and it isn't easy. It helps to remove the starter - that gives you more wiggle room. And the studs have to be out to again - give you more wiggle room. It has to be rotated around and worked out but it can be done without removing the bracket. Thanks for the tip though - if I have to do it again that will be part of the plan.
I was fortunate that this job was done to the vehicle just before I bought it and all studs were stainless and they came out well. About 70000 miles later the passenger side was ticking so it was time. I didn't have to remove the starter. Its tight of course but it's all doable. Finished up this morning and she's nice and quiet again.

I removed the starter and dropped it down, it was still a hassle. I also unbolted the mount and jacked up the motor IIRC.

Remove starter, unbolt motor mount and jack up engine.

Drill out any broken studs.
Replace with stainless steel bolts.
Ford makuloco had video and links to the drill bits and easy outs.

Worked like a charm.

Back