pats & gem location

bigblockford

Reaction score
City, State
cape breton
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 5.0 ford explorer
Where is the pats & gem locations on the 2000 explorer 5.0 eb eddition? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The GEM module is located behind and to the left of the radio. It's a black rectangular box. I don't think there is a "module" for PATS. It's more like software in the PCM and it uses a transceiver to read the transponder chip in the ignition key.

GEM = General Electronic Module
PATS = Passive Anti-Theft Systems

pats is located behind the airbag on the passengers side

254.jpg

345.jpg

Behind the airbag passenger side ..ok how do I get access to this ?

humph, I stand corrected. I never knew PATS was actually a module. in 4 years of reading stuff on this forum, I've never heard anyone ask that before. live and learn.

PATS design appears to change from model year to model year. According to my 1998 schematic, this 'PATS control assembly' behind the passenger side of the instrument panel is esssentially an interface between the transponder, the RAP (remote anti-theft personality module - the box in the left side of the trunk area), and the PCM.
Looks like they chose this box for an interface in the early version of PATS, because it was cheaper to just hook it up to the 2-wire data bus than modify the existing (non-PATS) PCM and its harness with all the extra signals. So essentially, the PCM provided the 'brain', but the PATS control assembly did the dirty work. It probably looks quite different on later models.

I wonder if PATS could be bypassed through modification
of this PATS control assembly?

Yea I seen that one too back in the jack compartment,my head is spinning with all the different ones on this rig, im trying to eliminate the 2000 pats by finding a pre 98 pats ecu with the needed hardware to get me up an running again its been a good challenge so far .

Sure, with decent education in digital electronics, a lot of time, and the right tools, one could figure out what the PCM expects to read from it on the bus, then make it send that. Could be a nice senior project in engineering school. By the way, that code is unique, so this modified box will only work in one vehicle.
I wonder if PATS could be bypassed through modification
of this PATS control assembly?

Actually, the code that the PCM expects is not easy to extract, but the fact that there are tools to program keys show that it can certainly be interrogated by the right software to give up its secrets.
Had I needed more challenges in my life, I might have taken this project. Heck, with help from a software guru, and a couple months on my hands, I could probably incorporate the code extraction portion into my modified box - which would make it universal - and then make money selling it to those who lost their keys ;)

Sure, with decent education in digital electronics, a lot of time, and the right tools, one could figure out what the PCM expects to read from it on the bus, then make it send that.Could be a nice senior project in engineering school. By the way, that code is unique, so this modified box will only work in one vehicle.

Back