• Register Today It's free!

pcm fuse keeps blowing

cjs04eddie

Reaction score
City, State
stafford va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford explorer
i have a 2004 ford explorer with the 4.6l v8 was driving it a couple days ago and all of my gauges started to turn on and off and my windows and lock button etc stopped working right before i pulled in it started to misfire really bad all while reading over 18v on my after market voltage meter figured the regulator in the altenator died turned it off and back on again to look into it more and the vehicle completely shut off later realized that the pcm fuse blows every time i turn the key anybody know what’s wrong with it ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a 2004 ford explorer with the 4.6l v8 was driving it a couple days ago and all of my gauges started to turn on and off and my windows and lock button etc stopped working right before i pulled in it started to misfire really bad all while reading over 18v on my after market voltage meter figured the regulator in the altenator died turned it off and back on again to look into it more and the vehicle completely shut off later realized that the pcm fuse blows every time i turn the key anybody know what’s wrong with it ?
not sure about the 18v, but ive heard stuff like wiring short out to exhaust or injector wiring to intake cause it to pop fuses. @Lee's Automotive having similiar issue.

not sure about the 18v, but ive heard stuff like wiring short out to exhaust or injector wiring to intake cause it to pop fuses. @Lee's Automotive having similiar issue.
Pcm fuse is good still can't find anything blown

oh ok nvm then 😂 sorry still 8 my brain isnt supporting peak capacity yet
My brain is still running away from me I'm trying to find it now

I would guess that your assessment is correct, that the voltage regulator in the alternator failed, put 18V through the system, which caused the voltage regulator in the PCM to fail from overheating... is probably a linear regulator so all excess voltage is converted to heat.

I could be wrong, especially newer like a 2004, would crack the PCM open and do some circuit tracing and measurement with a multimeter if you have the potential to desolder and solder in PCB components... or just as an autopsy to be certain the PCM itself is damaged before replacing it, and of course I'd measure resistance between the PCM power circuit the fuse is on, and chassis ground both with and without the PCM plugged in, just in case with it unplugged, it was a wiring short but that wouldn't cause 18V...

I would guess that your assessment is correct, that the voltage regulator in the alternator failed, put 18V through the system, which caused the voltage regulator in the PCM to fail from overheating... is probably a linear regulator so all excess voltage is converted to heat.

I could be wrong, especially newer like a 2004, would crack the PCM open and do some circuit tracing and measurement with a multimeter if you have the potential to desolder and solder in PCB components... or just as an autopsy to be certain the PCM itself is damaged before replacing it, and of course I'd measure resistance between the PCM power circuit the fuse is on, and chassis ground both with and without the PCM plugged in, just in case with it unplugged, it was a wiring short but that wouldn't cause 18V...
if it comes down to being the pcm i would rather just get another one then spending time trying to fix this one they really aren’t all that expensive anyway

Back