• Register Today It's free!

PCM fuse problem

sk

Reaction score
City, State
ocala, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
A few days ago my 96 Explorer died on me at 3 AM and I had to have it towed back home. It was running just fine on the way home but I had to stop at the post office to get mail since I had been out of town for a few days. When I came back to the truck, she would not start. She'll crank over but appears to not be getting fuel. The fuel pump was my first thought since the air filter was clean and I was getting spark so I changed the pump.
She fired up right away and then died and did the same thing again. She'll turn over, but won't start.
Turns out that the PCM fuse blows every time I turn the ignition on. There is only one wire that I can see going from the fuse to the relay. I'm sure there is another wire but I cannot see it becaue there is a plate of sorts on the bottom of the fuse box hiding that half of the fuses. I unplugged the fuel pump in two places in an effort to locate where the problem is (by this time, I figured I had a short somewhere) and the fuse still blew even with the pump unplugged. Both places. I can take the relay out and turn on the ignition and the fuse stays in tact but when I but it back in we have the same issue. One mechanic was bright enough to instill me with his wisdom by informing me that "You gotta a short somewhere, fella." Yea...no kidding.
Any ideas? This is my only for of transportation at this point and I need her back on the road.

A few days ago my 96 Explorer died on me at 3 AM and I had to have it towed back home. It was running just fine on the way home but I had to stop at the post office to get mail since I had been out of town for a few days. When I came back to the truck, she would not start. She'll crank over but appears to not be getting fuel. The fuel pump was my first thought since the air filter was clean and I was getting spark so I changed the pump.
She fired up right away and then died and did the same thing again. She'll turn over, but won't start.
Turns out that the PCM fuse blows every time I turn the ignition on. There is only one wire that I can see going from the fuse to the relay. I'm sure there is another wire but I cannot see it becaue there is a plate of sorts on the bottom of the fuse box hiding that half of the fuses. I unplugged the fuel pump in two places in an effort to locate where the problem is (by this time, I figured I had a short somewhere) and the fuse still blew even with the pump unplugged. Both places. I can take the relay out and turn on the ignition and the fuse stays in tact but when I but it back in we have the same issue. One mechanic was bright enough to instill me with his wisdom by informing me that "You gotta a short somewhere, fella." Yea...no kidding.
Any ideas? This is my only for of transportation at this point and I need her back on the road.

I have an extra PCM but not sure you can use it. You are welcome to it. Just pay the postage from Louisiana to you in FL. Problem is I have no idea if it will work for you. It is off a 99 xlt 5.0 2wd. It may be useable if you have it flashed.

Back