PIU - which coolant to use? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PIU - which coolant to use?

I'm curious to know whether that's true or not so I'm going to do some reading about wind and cold temps, I like that you mentioned that, I believe your right, but I'll research anyways.

Also I don't mean to seem like I'm directing all this information towards you in particular, but instead help create a single area for everyone to learn accurate information we've gathered for those that are curious. Part of why I prefer to provide sources.

And yeah the Coolant isn't explosive, but the image provides some entertainment while adding in that it will Add to a fire. I don't mean to start one.

Anyways, I've read that coolant is flammable, by the process of "auto-ignition" 650-750°. Which is not likely to happen, and I don't believe it would be normal for an engine to get that hot, maybe the cat, or driving without coolant on older vehicles? Never happened to me so I can't say from experience. I wonder if turbos would.

And by cat I don't mean the Animal, if your cat is on fire you should be concerned and refer to your Pet Owners manual for instructions.

In terms of the 'newer' coolants I've found from Motorcrafts Yellow Coolant Safety Data Sheet that the flammability is still rated as minimal as the Green and Orange Coolant which is a 1 of 4, so I believe manufacturers have given enough attention in that aspect.

I prefer having a lower chance of coolant that's not going to boil inside the engine too, something about that idea bothers me. According to Peak and Oreillys Brand 50/50 Yellow/Orange boil at 224°-227°. Prestone/Zerex/Motorcraft Yellow 50/50 rated for 265°. For reference, Water boils at 212°.

I suppose it's worth mentioning that Prestone Yellow is a PHOAT, uncertain about which Ford Spec it applies to, but is a 'Universal' coolant which Ford doesn't recommend from lack of compatibility studying I believe.

Aside from coolant compatibility, Costs and local availability factor in whether we can buy these types of coolants. I haven't seen Oreillys sell Motorcraft Coolant for example, though that's what I would buy if they did. So I'd like to be careful on what I choose. Local is nice if I have to return something, paying return fees isn't nice if I were to purchase x2 of the wrong stuff due to user error or mislabeled products.

I haven't provided any sources here lol.

Back