• Register Today It's free!

Possible downpipe flange problem?

dave80

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 4wd XLT
Was changing the oil tonight on my 2014 XLT (14,000 miles) and I've noticed the downpipe flange missing a chunk of metal. Does that look normal to you guys?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might need a small mirror to see it, but is there a similar notch on the underside, opposite where this one is? It does look like a deliberate cutout to clear something on another application for the same part, and not something that has been "broken"off.

That is based on the radius and relief angle all around the rest of the flange that results from the punch to die clearance of the blanking process during manufacture of the part. But the rusting obscures this so I can't be positive. Someone else will chime in if they have the same thing on theirs, I'm sure.

Honestly it doesn't look "normal" but also doesn't look like it would cause any long-term problems. Is it leaking?

I didn't see or feel the same notch on the opposite side of the flange. And yes corrosion is pretty severe I would say. I don't think thank flange will last 5 years, and I don't believe it's leaking yet.

Just looking at the pictures, I'd say that was the way it was made. Both sides seem to be contoured toward the middle 'dip' and the edges look like they are 'finished' edges with no signs of any damage.

Peter

I didn't see or feel the same notch on the opposite side of the flange. And yes corrosion is pretty severe I would say. I don't think thank flange will last 5 years, and I don't believe it's leaking yet.
A lot of parts are designed for multiple applications. Somewhere, this part is installed in an application where that the notch fits "around" another part.

Also, the "corrosion" is normal. It's on the surface. The 2011 looked like that within 6 months. Today, it still looks like that. Nothing to be concerned over.

Just changed oil on my 2014 so I had the air deflector off and mine look's exactly the same.

Thanks bigdude. There you have it Dave. Nothing to worry about there.

Back