Possible repairs made to the vehicle before dealership delivery | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible repairs made to the vehicle before dealership delivery

maddog468

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Platinum
I took delivery of a 2017 Ford explorer platinum around 8/1/16. As soon as I drove the vehicle from the dealer I had issues with the hood fluttering. I bought the explorer from a dealership that was a couple hours from home. It was late and decided to take the car home and bring it to my local dealership for repair. Two days later I bring it to my local dealership for repair. They have the car for a couple of hours and adjust the two hood mounts which raises the hood. This stops most of the fluttering but not all. Now the body seams do not match up

I advised the service manger its not right. Life happens and I have some major personal issues to deal with and can not bring the car back for repair. The service manger understands and says bring the car in when you can.

While I have the car I notice that the driver's side passenger door has a problem with the paint. Looks like a 6 inch section has been blended in the center of the door, but the paint does not match the car. Its hard to see but once you see it, it sticks out like a sore thumb. Also the R/H headlight light is out of adjustment and there is a small dent that looks like a pimple (the dent is from the inside not outside) on the right side front fender.

So last week I bring the car back for repair of the hood. The service manger remembers me and I point out the other flaws of the car.

They have the car for a week and tell me that the hood flutter is normal. They adjust the headlight, but they say the paint defects are normal. I disagree and call the 1-800 number from one of the ford reps that use to post here on this forum.

Today under the advise of Ford I took the car to a another dealership. This dealership agreed with me about the hood. They are going to submit a claim to for to see if Ford will replace the hood.

When the Body shop manager looks at the door he says clearly this was repaired. He asked me if I have brought the car to a shop for repairs. I tell him no , I bought the car with 11 miles and I drove 6 of them. I watched the dealership unwrap the car! The Body Shop manager say he cannot warranty this because he did not do the repair and whomever did this has to repair it. He suggested that it was repaired in delivery and the selling dealership should have a record of the repair or who ever shipped the car has a record of it.

I called ford and the selling dealership about the repair. Neither one of them has a record of the repair and nothing was recorded on the vin about it. I believe the dealer, because I watched them take the plastic off the car. In fact the car was in there receiving lot.

So my question is, how can I find out if someone repaired the car pre-delivery? Nothing was on the car fax and the car was sold as new. Something does not add up with the hood, headlight and paint repairs. Of course its been 8 month since I bought the car and no one is going to own this issue.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have no idea how you could find out, other than going through Ford corporate, but I can tell you that new cars get damaged before shipping and in transit all the time. A company I used to work for always ordered our fleet vehicles, so they were shipped from the factory to the closest dealer to the rep the vehicle was being issued to. Over a couple of months, we had multiple vehicles damaged in transit, with the damage ranging from broken windows to vehicles being totalled. One fell off a train. Others were damaged on the truck. The factory flat out lost mine for a month.

You'd probably have to go outside of the normal customer service channel to find out, but I would start with customer service, and escalate as necessary. I'd also contact the selling dealer, if you haven't already. They should know, whether or not they'll tell you...

Hi Scott. Here is what the Warranty Guide says about this possible situation;

CHECK YOUR VEHICLE
We try to check vehicles carefully at the assembly plant and the
dealership, and we usually correct any damage to paint, sheet metal,
upholstery, or other appearance items. But occasionally something may
slip past us, and a customer may find that a vehicle was damaged before
he or she took delivery. If you see any damage when you receive your
vehicle, notify your dealership within one week.

Although you are past the 1 week stated above the one body shop said that the door had obviously been repaired and not buy you. I think your dealer should contact Ford about this and try to have the door repainted under warranty. The bolded type was mine. Good luck.

Peter

When I took delivery of my 2008 and 2017 I had the dealer run a vehicle visibility report. I'm looking at the one from 2008 as I type. It listed every movement of the vehicle from manufacturing date, shipment on the rail car to delivery at the dealership. If it suffered damage or had repairs it would be on this list. This is the web site listed from 2008.
www.vehiclevisibilty.dealerconnection.com Near the bottom in bold type it states that this is Ford Confidential.
I will look for the one we ran for the 2017. It had 2 cracked plastic windshield pillar trim pieces and we questioned whether the windshield had been replaced. It wasn't, and the report verified it. I don't think it was the same tracking site as the one from 2008, but even the dealership for the 2017 had a report showing the Explorers every movement and wanted to verify that the windshield had not been replaced. Good luck.

When I took delivery of my 2008 and 2017 I had the dealer run a vehicle visibility report. I'm looking at the one from 2008 as I type. It listed every movement of the vehicle from manufacturing date, shipment on the rail car to delivery at the dealership. If it suffered damage or had repairs it would be on this list. This is the web site listed from 2008.
www.vehiclevisibilty.dealerconnection.com Near the bottom in bold type it states that this is Ford Confidential.
I will look for the one we ran for the 2017. It had 2 cracked plastic windshield pillar trim pieces and we questioned whether the windshield had been replaced. It wasn't, and the report verified it. I don't think it was the same tracking site as the one from 2008, but even the dealership for the 2017 had a report showing the Explorers every movement and wanted to verify that the windshield had not been replaced. Good luck.
Found the 2017. It is listed under www.vrep.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com

While that link did not work for me at least I know there is a way to look the history up. I can always ask the dealership to print one out for me. Did they print one for you or is it a Ford classified document? lol

Thanks

I just made the 3 hour plus round trip drive to the selling dealership. I spoke with Body Shop manager and showed him the door, hood attachment adhesive and front fender. They took the vin and ran a history check. It only showed that they did a dealer inspection. They verified it was their car and not a trade from another dealer. I mention that the other dealer (the second one) said sometimes dealerships repair these blemishes with no work order. He said they would not repair a door like this and they did not operate like that.

It was bright outside so the paint blemish was hard to see and photograph. With his poker face on he took the car in the back. He was able to get a clear shot of the blend under the shop lights. The metallic flake was laying the wrong way. So when the light hit the car a certain way it made the repaired area darker. He submitted the claim to Ford and had the claim approved in minutes to repaint the whole door. He believed that the defect was done at the factory.

He also submitted the claim for the hood. We waited some time for the approval. He offered to get back to me so I would not be caught up in rush hour traffic. He thinks the repair will be approved as well. It just was not official when I left. I will find out tomorrow.

The front fender "pimple", he said was caused when the fender was stamped. Although it was a defect I think I am going to let it go.

Hard to believe that my local dealer had the car for a week and did nothing. I go to the place I bought the car and less than an hour later everything seems to taken care of.

Just to give you some background. I tried to purchase this car from my local dealer. The salesman refused to do a dealer trade because I was purchasing it under the "A" plan. Guess I need another local dealer

I took delivery of a 2017 Ford explorer platinum around 8/1/16. As soon as I drove the vehicle from the dealer I had issues with the hood fluttering. I bought the explorer from a dealership that was a couple hours from home. It was late and decided to take the car home and bring it to my local dealership for repair. Two days later I bring it to my local dealership for repair. They have the car for a couple of hours and adjust the two hood mounts which raises the hood. This stops most of the fluttering but not all. Now the body seams do not match up

I advised the service manger its not right. Life happens and I have some major personal issues to deal with and can not bring the car back for repair. The service manger understands and says bring the car in when you can.

While I have the car I notice that the driver's side passenger door has a problem with the paint. Looks like a 6 inch section has been blended in the center of the door, but the paint does not match the car. Its hard to see but once you see it, it sticks out like a sore thumb. Also the R/H headlight light is out of adjustment and there is a small dent that looks like a pimple (the dent is from the inside not outside) on the right side front fender.

So last week I bring the car back for repair of the hood. The service manger remembers me and I point out the other flaws of the car.

They have the car for a week and tell me that the hood flutter is normal. They adjust the headlight, but they say the paint defects are normal. I disagree and call the 1-800 number from one of the ford reps that use to post here on this forum.

Today under the advise of Ford I took the car to a another dealership. This dealership agreed with me about the hood. They are going to submit a claim to for to see if Ford will replace the hood.

When the Body shop manager looks at the door he says clearly this was repaired. He asked me if I have brought the car to a shop for repairs. I tell him no , I bought the car with 11 miles and I drove 6 of them. I watched the dealership unwrap the car! The Body Shop manager say he cannot warranty this because he did not do the repair and whomever did this has to repair it. He suggested that it was repaired in delivery and the selling dealership should have a record of the repair or who ever shipped the car has a record of it.

I called ford and the selling dealership about the repair. Neither one of them has a record of the repair and nothing was recorded on the vin about it. I believe the dealer, because I watched them take the plastic off the car. In fact the car was in there receiving lot.

So my question is, how can I find out if someone repaired the car pre-delivery? Nothing was on the car fax and the car was sold as new. Something does not add up with the hood, headlight and paint repairs. Of course its been 8 month since I bought the car and no one is going to own this issue.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Scott

There is suppose to be policy for dealerships. Customer can pick up their vehicle and may return it to dealership within 7 days of taking delivery of their vehicle. So if the color did not match or a dent or any frame misaligned, they fix it for free, no questions asked. They told me this because I was picking up my XP Sport in Feb when it was dark at 6pm when I picked it up.
If the truck was damaged during transit then they should have that recorded.

Just to give you some background. I tried to purchase this car from my local dealer. The salesman refused to do a dealer trade because I was purchasing it under the "A" plan. Guess I need another local dealer

I think you have already found your new local dealer...they just happen to be and hour and half away from you. Kudos to the selling dealer.

There is suppose to be policy for dealerships. Customer can pick up their vehicle and may return it to dealership within 7 days of taking delivery of their vehicle. So if the color did not match or a dent or any frame misaligned, they fix it for free, no questions asked. They told me this because I was picking up my XP Sport in Feb when it was dark at 6pm when I picked it up.
If the truck was damaged during transit then they should have that recorded.

It would only be recorded if the dealer caught the damage. Once they accept it, it is no longer on the transport company.

Post 3 stated everything you said about the 7 days.

It would only be recorded if the dealer caught the damage. Once they accept it, it is no longer on the transport company.

The selling dealer checked that for me today. The only record was them accepting the vehicle. The body shop manager thought the repair/blend was done at the factory. Its really hard to see if you don't have an eye for this stuff. Even the body shop manager had a hard time seeing it at first. That why he brought it inside under the shop lights.

Post 3 stated everything you said about the 7 days.

The Hood and some other paint defects were brought to my local dealership within 7 days. One of the defects was approved the other was denied. I have a 3/4 inch chip on the drivers door edge and the local dealer claimed that ford denied the claim (within 7 days). They said it was wear and tear. I thought the selling dealer fixed it before I bought the car because the salesman was able to fix it. I thought it was grime, he must of put a marker on it. I did not have the time or the will when I purchased the car to fight the dealership, because of what I was dealing with at home.

The blend on the passenger door was not seen by me until several months later. Also, I did not bring the blend defect to any of dealerships attention until last week, 8 months later after the purchase.

I am happy that the the selling dealer is going to replace the hood and fix the passenger door paint. I really did not expect the Ford/dealer to do much with the passenger door blemish.

I should of went to the selling dealer first its a 90 mile drive. They were really understanding today no hassles.

While that link did not work for me at least I know there is a way to look the history up. I can always ask the dealership to print one out for me. Did they print one for you or is it a Ford classified document? lol

Thanks
They printed them out and heck yes, I kept both! lol. The 2008 had some "under-spray" in the engine compartment that looked questionable . The report they showed cleared it and it had the same lack of paint as the other ones in the lot. He also showed me a report listing a Ford 150 with rear quarter damage to prove they do track the autos and any damage. Both dealers were forthcoming with any data I sought but, it appears both of these web sites can only be accessed by the dealers. Now we know they are available though. Nice to see they stepped up to the plate for you.

I am curious why there is even conversation about replacing the hood? Most if not all of the Explorers tend to have some hood movement at freeway speed and is probably due to being aluminum and as such, softer.

I am curious why there is even conversation about replacing the hood? Most if not all of the Explorers tend to have some hood movement at freeway speed and is probably due to being aluminum and as such, softer.
My 2011 had no vibration in the hood what so ever. My 2017 does on occasion given the right amount of wind mother nature whips up.

Peter

When my daughter and I were looking at new 2017 explorers, one had 3" of SNOW inside it because someone test drove it yesterday and left the sunroof open... it snowed that night. doh!

My 2003 explorer had an aluminum hood, it never moved.

The 2015 f-150 I drive is mostly made out of aluminum. The hood and body panels do not move or flutter.

Just because the hood is made out of a different material is not an excuse to cover up a defect/problem.

The problem with the hood was with the adhesive bonds, not the aluminum structure. The adhesive is used to bond the inner and outer parts of the hood together. While the edges of the hood are welded together. The adhesive bonds the center section together and gives the center part of the hood strength and stiffness.

A small flutter in a strong gust I could understand maybe, but the above cars never did this ever.

Also, this is a safety issue. When the hood starts to flutter you can not help yourself not to look at it. It is very distracting

Bottom line:
If Ford thought that it was right they would not waste money on a new hood.

I just bought a brand new 2017 Sport, and test drove it on a cloudy day, bought later that night. I drove the Quartz on a test drive, and decided on white. instead of the Quartz. When I went back at night, I drove the car, but did not look it over that well. On day 3 in the sunlight, I did not notice a small dent on the front driversdoor, with a paint flaw next to it. Over the weekend I waxed the car, and it quickly became obvious that something happened to my 50K car! I noticed the following

- the dent and paint flaw looked different than the other sections of the car in bright light
- There is overspray above the area in question, as well as on the top window rail where it meets the roof.
- The doors on the driver side need to be pushed harder than those on the passenger side
- There is a separate patch of significantly rough paint about 2"x2" on the rear driver door, almost seems like a glob that was reapaired.
- The doors are out of alignment from a gap perspective - wide at top, narrow on bottom, and vice versa on the other side.

When I took it to my dealer, everyone that looked at it agreed something happened, The body shop manager agreed the doors were out of alignment and someone touched it up. His opinion was this happened at the factory and it was repaired there. he said they do a great job building cars, but not so good repairing flaws. They are going to keep it tonight, take the door panels off and look behind them to see what is going on. I am assuming they will fix all of this under warranty, as it only has 350 miles on it now. Honestly, I want the quartz one i drove, but that wont happen. This car feels like a dark cloud and not a good way to start off as a happy owner.

this whole thing makes me sick. I never thought i would ever pay this much for a vehicle and regret buying it. Any words of advice out there from anyone?

thanks,
Nick

I feel your pain. I had odered my 92 Explorer but it took longer for delivery for some reason. When I finally got it I noticed masking tape on the under side of the quarter panel and oversprayl. Like you it was repaired at the factory thus the longer wait.. The dealership did didn't like the way it looked and repainted it and did a better job.
In your case it looks like they are stepping up to the plate to make it right. Too bad the dealership didnt do a more through inspection during PDI. Damage can happen at the factory, during transport and there is also potential lot damage at the dealership. My special ordered 2016 had lot damage but dealership had PDR done to fix the small dent on the door below the rubber strip. I suspect when they did the dealer installation of the factory ordered roof rail a tool must have rolled off the roof and fell the the door.
Sounds like everything will be alright...soon. Enjoy your new ride.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just tell them that you pay for a brand NEW vehicle, not for one that need work and your vehicle has "diminished value" compared to a "good" one
See what they would want money wise to put you in the quartz one.
Maybe is low enough that it would be worth it for you
Please let us know

Back